Sustainability & social value
Multilateral support for rivers bill is heartening
British Water chief executive Lila Thompson discusses Philip Dunne MP's Sewage (and Inland Waters) Bill and the industry-government CSO taskforce.
- Reducing the environmental impacts of rapid infrastructure expansion As the UK starts to manoeuvre out of the Covid-19 pandemic, it's no secret that the government will need to kickstart an... Read More >
- NI Water: A climate emergency gamechanger NI Water has launched its plans to harness the unseen potential in hydrogen from water, to help address the climate... Read More >
- Water supply chain ‘mission critical' to net zero The water industry's Net Zero 2030 Routemap represents a step-change for the sector, in which increasing prominence is... Read More >
- What are the implications of the Environment Bill on the water industry? After the pandemic forced a seven-month pause in debate, the Environment Bill has returned to Parliament, precipitating... Read More >
- Road to net-zero: the challenges and opportunities for water Today, the water industry became the world's first sector to launch a collective plan to deliver net zero carbon emissions... Read More >
- WWT Explains Design thinking for smart networks In our latest WWT Explains guide, produced in association with Novotek, we look at design thinking for smart networks. Read More >
- Responsive environmental resilience Rich Matthews, MD at Siltbuster Process Solutions (SPS), talks about industry pressures, the current performance of water... Read More >
- Making the future the present Harry Cowan, chief executive of Power and Water Ltd challenges water industry decision makers and the regulator to eschew... Read More >
- Technology to cut carbon emissions and adapt to climate change Institute of Water member Neil Kitching has published a book on climate change and nature. Here, he explains how... Read More >
- Day Zero: Waking up to water scarcity David Hartwell of Creative EC, explains why Day Zero might be closer than we think and how water event metering could help... Read More >
- 'There's a Hole in my Bucket, dear Boris, dear Boris' David McNeice, Director in DWF's Water practice, analyses the Public Accounts Committee's report on the outlook of... Read More >
- Maximising water efficiency savings from smart meters and adapting to lockdown From 1 September, Thames Water will restart its award-winning programme of in-home water efficiency visits having used... Read More >
- Bubbling up: the impact of rising water risk With water risk on the rise, Erin Boeke Burke, associate director, sustainable finance at S&P Global Ratings, considers... Read More >
- Expansion of SuDS schemes will help alleviate flooding events David Smoker, chair of BPF Pipes Group, talks about how the expansion of the UK government's SuDS scheme should help solve Read More >
- Water leads the way to a green recovery In weathering the Covid-19 storm, the water industry has proved its resilience and is emerging from the crisis in a... Read More >
- Ofwat lays out guidance for RAPID submissions to water resource solutions Ofwat has published guidance to the gated process for strategic regional water resource solutions.
- Thames Water and Kingston Council team up for heat recovery scheme Excess heat recovered from the sewage treatment process could be used to power more than 2,000 homes thanks to a new carbon-cutting partnership between Thames Water and Kingston Council.
- South West Water begins project to plant 40,000 trees An ambitious project to plant 40,000 trees to help improve bathing water quality in Combe Martin starts this month.
- Water industry urged to ‘keep up momentum' on water resource planning The National Infrastructure Commission has urged the water sector and the government to “keep up the momentum” with regard to water resource planning.
- Genesis Biosciences to trial Evogen Biogas Additive in UU Innovation Lab Genesis Biosciences will be trialling its Evogen Biogas Additive - a powdered product which combines a novel mineral carrier with an application specific naturally occurring, non- pathogenic, stable microbial component - as part of United Utilities' Innovation Lab.