Yorkshire Water scheme to protect reed beds
Yorkshire Water is investing more than £200,000 on maintenance work to the reed beds at Carperby Wastewater Treatment Works (WwTW) in Carperby, Yorkshire Dales.
The treatment works is situated south of the village which is in Leyburn, Richmondshire. The new scheme from the company will see vital work take place in order to maintain the reed beds at the WwTW.
Reed beds play an important role in wastewater treatment as they are aquatic plant-based systems that allow bacteria, fungi and algae to digest the waste and clean wastewater before it is returned back to the water environment.
Yorkshire Water has assigned Cema Clayton Consortium and ARM Reedbeds to complete the work on its behalf.
A footpath near the WwTW and the working area will require a diversion due to the nature of the work and to ensure the safety of walkers, the diversion route will be short and will be signposted.
Mark Allsop, community engagement and customer service advisor at Yorkshire Water, said: “The reed beds play a fantastic part of the wastewater treatment process therefore maintaining them is vital for us, which is why we’re spending £217,000 on this new scheme.”
- Wastewater test could provide early warning of Covid-19 Researchers at Cranfield University are working on a new test to detect SARS-CoV-2 in the wastewater of communities... Read More >
- Thames Water uses innovative new precise drilling technique Thames Water used a state-of-the-art drilling technique to help it install a vital new sewage pipe while protecting a... Read More >
- Jacobs wins place on Affinity Water's river restoration framework Technical professional services firm Jacobs has been awarded a place on Affinity Water's river restoration framework,... Read More >
- NI Water: A climate emergency gamechanger NI Water has launched its plans to harness the unseen potential in hydrogen from water, to help address the climate... Read More >
- Water supply chain ‘mission critical' to net zero The water industry's Net Zero 2030 Routemap represents a step-change for the sector, in which increasing prominence is... Read More >
- What are the implications of the Environment Bill on the water industry? After the pandemic forced a seven-month pause in debate, the Environment Bill has returned to Parliament, precipitating... Read More >
- Road to net-zero: the challenges and opportunities for water Today, the water industry became the world's first sector to launch a collective plan to deliver net zero carbon emissions... Read More >
- Responsive environmental resilience Rich Matthews, MD at Siltbuster Process Solutions (SPS), talks about industry pressures, the current performance of water... Read More >