Yorkshire Water invests £250K-plus to refurbish water tower
Reservoir and water tower refurbishment specialist Stonbury is to refurbish Yorkshire Water's water tower in Mappleton. The 24-week project is worth more than £250,000.
The tower, which can store 1.36 mega litres of water, was constructed in 1928 and received its last refurbishment about 35 years ago. The structure is now in need of some attention.
The chamber where the water is stored will be emptied, given a deep clean and a new lining installed. A new membrane will be applied to the roof and this, together with the new lining in the chamber will ensure the tower is weatherproof and watertight for another 30 years. A small number of external concrete repairs and internal access improvements will also be made.
Yorkshire Water project manager Dave Axe said: ”We hope this project will have little impact on the local community as most of these improvements will take place inside the tower. There will be little to see outside, apart from the external scaffolding needed to provide access for the men and materials.”
He added that there will be no impact on water supplies whilst the work is being carried out. “Water supplies will be maintained from Leven water pumping station.”
- Yorkshire trials smart meters for leakage detection Yorkshire Water is testing smart metering technology as part of its strategy to reduce leakage. Read More >
- Yorkshire Water joins 1000 Rivers eDNA Project Yorkshire Water has become the first UK water company to join the 1000 Rivers eDNA project - allowing it to gather vital... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water launches the world's first poo-powered pub Yorkshire Water has thrown open the doors to the world's first ever poo-powered pub, in celebration of the company’s... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >