Water treatment works giving energy back to the grid
A water treatment works being run by Scottish Water is generating more energy than it uses with power being given back to the grid.
Castle Moffat Water Treatment Works, just south of Garvald, abstracts water from Whiteadder Reservoir. It provides on average 21 Ml/day of clean, fresh drinking water to approximately 47,000 customers across all of East Lothian.
This self-sufficiency is a result of hydro power which is supplied by a new state of the art generator and control panel which were upgraded in a £200,000 investment last May. The original hydroturbine, which is more than 50 years old, was installed on the site in 1992 and was in need of refurbishment.
Castle Moffat WTW is the only Scottish Water asset where pumped water is used to power a site. The water is pumped from Hungry Snout Pumping Station at Whiteadder Reservoir, over Friar’s Nose Hill and then drops by gravity to the site inlet. It generates 750,000 kWh/annum - enough to power 2,416 homes.
The site uses around 80% of the electricity it generates from the turbine with the remaining 20% exported to National Grid.
Claire Chapman, renewable generation manager at Scottish Water, said: “Castle Moffat is a unique site of ours. It is our only water treatment work where we have a hydroturbine on a pumped water supply. The introduction of the Feed in Tariffs in 2010 have meant that typically, only gravity-fed hydroturbines have been promoted across Scotland, as pumped sites did not attract funding. However, because we offset nearly all the electricity generated at the Treatment Works, it is still a financially viable site for Scottish Water.
“This is a good example of how Scottish Water uses innovative technology to best adapt to Scotland’s topography, to build sites that best serve its customers. And in this case it is not only a very clever technically built site in terms of how it pumps water but how it able to harnesses hydro power and use that energy to operate the site which is great news for the environment.
“At times Castle Moffat also gives electricity to the National Grid, showing it is possible to maximize the economic advantages that can come from Scottish Water assets.”
“Castle Moffat is really important in terms of the direction we’re moving in with our carbon footprint and trying to reduce the amount of electricity we use. Using renewable technology like hydro and getting greater value from our day-to-day practices is helping us play our part in tackling the climate change emergency.”
- Anglian Water prepares for future challenges with largest ever year of investment Anglian Water has today unveiled a huge £630 million investment programme for the year ahead. Read More >
- Lost revenue is biggest Covid risk facing utilities Non-payment of customer bills poses the biggest Covid-19 threat to water utilities worldwide, research presented at the... Read More >
- Smart meters help Thames Water slash leakage Smart meters have helped Thames Water achieve what it described as the water industry's “biggest reduction in leakage this... Read More >
- The future of MBBRs Junaid Hassan from Warden Biomedia reviews the progress of the new media being designed with Cranfield University to... Read More >
- Tightening phosphorus levels on ever tightening budgets How can low concentrations be met in practice within the financial constraints in AMP7, Simon Radford looks ahead to where... Read More >
- 'There's a Hole in my Bucket, dear Boris, dear Boris' David McNeice, Director in DWF's Water practice, analyses the Public Accounts Committee's report on the outlook of... Read More >
- Targeting borehole bacteria with a simple test Mike Deed, managing director of Geoquip Water Solutions, says when tackling contamination in boreholes, it is essential to... Read More >
- Electrochlorination: The safer alternative Ian Murphy, capital liaison manager, at Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water, discusses the electrochlorination project with James... Read More >