Water industry urged to ‘move faster' on AD
Significant opportunities for water companies to develop their non-regulated business in the area of food waste and anaerobic digestion (AD) exist and they could move faster, according to Charlotte Morton, chief executive of the Anaerobic Digestion & Biogas Association (ADBA).
Speaking exclusively to WWTonline at the trade body’s national conference on December 3, Morton said: “There are plenty of opportunities for the water industry. They are energy-hungry businesses that can potentially reduce their energy use and carbon footprint.
“They have great sites for AD and other renewables, I’m surprised they’re not moving faster,” she added. “The opportunities are there, the incentives are there."
Morton praised Wessex Water’s GENeco business, that has co-located AD for food waste at Avonmouth sewage works, and Severn Trent’s gas-to-grid project.
“Water companies have been doing AD for years,” she said. “They have a lot of expertise, experience and skills.”
- Ofwat endorses bioresources and water trading Ofwat has given its backing to new markets in bioresources (treated sludge) and water trading, which together could be... Read More >
- Public water supply nears 100% compliance, DWI report reveals The quality of public water supply in England and Wales has reached 99.97% compliance with the EU Drinking Water... Read More >
- Cambridge, Thames and SES Water see rise in customer complaints Cambridge Water, Thames Water and SES Water face increased scrutiny from the industry's consumer watchdog following poor... Read More >
- Where there's muck, there’s brass Tim Broadhurst, CCO of CooperOstlund, on utilising sewage and sludge as a renewable energy feedstock and how to maximise... Read More >
- Going green at Severn Trent's Minworth STW With a £60 million investment aimed at producing 30 per cent more green energy from its largest sewage treatment works,... Read More >
- Veolia putting efficiency into effect As part of Anglian Water's Energy Efficiency and Optimisation framework, Veolia is using its global experience to assist... Read More >
- Finding value in liquid waste streams Matt Hale, international sales and marketing director at HRS Heat Exchangers, looks at how value can be extracted from... Read More >
- Innovation Zone: Boosting biogas production Regulatory changes mean that now is a good time for technologies that can help boost biogas production from sludge. Here... Read More >