UU and anglers take action over fly-tipping at reservoirs
United Utilities (UU) has teamed up with local anglers to highlight the growing problem of fly-tipping at its reservoirs. Appleton Reservoir in Warrington has been affected a number of times this year, and the company now plans to install CCTV cameras to catch those responsible.
UU said fly-tipping 'is a growing issue" at other reservoirs across the North-west, and is costing thousands of pounds a year clear up.
Dr Kate Snow, UU catchment manager, said that when people throw black bin bags into the reservoir you can't tell what the waste is. "We obviously have to get it out as quickly as possible in case it contains harmful chemicals or things that could pollute the water. We've no idea what's in black bin bags."
Dr Snow said fly-tipping has become more of an issue recently, and that UU is working with the Police in areas where there is a big problem. She added that UU is planning installing CCTV cameras "to catch the guys in action because it's such an issue. It's extremely costly, which customers have to fund".
John Wedgwood, a local angler who has been helping clear waste from Appleton Reservoir, said: "I think it's sickening. There's no need whatsoever. It's a pretty place and shouldn't be dumped upon."
- North of England should act to avoid water shortages - report A new report has said action to promote a sustainable approach to water resources is required to avoid the risk of... Read More >
- UU uses willow to provide energy and cut flood risk United Utilities has planted more than 30,000 willow cuttings in flood-prone rough pastureland either side of the access... Read More >
- Leakage targets increase in draft determinations Several water companies now have increased leakage reduction targets for AMP7, with Thames Water facing a challenge to... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >