UU and anglers take action over fly-tipping at reservoirs
United Utilities (UU) has teamed up with local anglers to highlight the growing problem of fly-tipping at its reservoirs. Appleton Reservoir in Warrington has been affected a number of times this year, and the company now plans to install CCTV cameras to catch those responsible.
UU said fly-tipping 'is a growing issue" at other reservoirs across the North-west, and is costing thousands of pounds a year clear up.
Dr Kate Snow, UU catchment manager, said that when people throw black bin bags into the reservoir you can't tell what the waste is. "We obviously have to get it out as quickly as possible in case it contains harmful chemicals or things that could pollute the water. We've no idea what's in black bin bags."
Dr Snow said fly-tipping has become more of an issue recently, and that UU is working with the Police in areas where there is a big problem. She added that UU is planning installing CCTV cameras "to catch the guys in action because it's such an issue. It's extremely costly, which customers have to fund".
John Wedgwood, a local angler who has been helping clear waste from Appleton Reservoir, said: "I think it's sickening. There's no need whatsoever. It's a pretty place and shouldn't be dumped upon."
- Irish Water to invest EUR21.5M in Tullamore and Birr supply schemes Irish Water has signed a contract for major upgrades to the Tullamore and Birr water supply schemes. Read More >
- Technical fault cuts off water supply for thousands in Bolton United Utilities (UU) has blamed a technical fault at its Sweetloves water treatment works for thousands of properties in... Read More >
- Defra gives green light for South East Water's WRMP Defra has approved outline plans by South East Water to future proof drinking water supply over the next 25 years. The... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >