Tory MPs want windfall tax for water companies
Conservative MPs have called on chancellor George Osborne to impose a windfall tax on the water companies to cut water bills, arguing that they have raised prices by 12.5% since 2010 and 50% since they were privatised while handing generous pay rises and bonuses to directors.
The MPs also want regulator Ofwat to impose tougher targets on the water companies to reduce the 3.4 billion litres of water lost through leakage each day.
Robert Halfon, Tory MP for Harlow, said: “A windfall tax must be imposed on water companies who consistently raise prices above inflation, without water level leakage decreasing. The money raised must go back to consumers through lower prices.”
Earlier this week, environment secretary Owen Paterson wrote to the water companies saying that their unexpectedly high profits needed to be translated into real benefits for customers through higher investment or lower bills.
- Thames and Affinity test emergency water deliveries in London Thames Water and Affinity Water have taken part in London's first emergency planning exercise designed to test how councils... Read More >
- Pipes group urges water sector to adopt new PE fusion jointing standard The British Plastic Federation's (BPF) Pipes Group is urging the sector to adopt a new standard concerning the key... Read More >
- Summer bathing water testing begins in England The Environment Agency has resumed seasonal water quality testing at more than 400 popular swimming spots. Read More >
- Changing the way water utilities think George Hesmondhalgh, managing consultant at Capgemini, says companies need to stop viewing legislation as an obligation... Read More >
- The price of water As part of our Utility of the Future campaign, Robin Hackett looks at whether low water bills can be maintained long term Read More >
- Scottish Water starts planning for the long term For SR21, Scottish Water is moving away from the traditional approach to business plans and developing a blueprint for the... Read More >
- Football teams and water companies: Closer than you think New season, new league, new challenges... Egremont Group's Owen Quinn and Alex Graham on the parallels between football... Read More >
- Abstract concept: How can water companies reduce abstraction? Despite concerns over supplies, water companies face pressure to reduce abstraction. As part of our Utility of the Future... Read More >