Thames Water spends £3.5M on pipeline
Thames Water is investing £3.5M installing a new 4km pipeline that will secure supplies for customers in Berkshire and Oxfordshire.
The new pipe will supply water from Woods Farm water treatment works to the storage reservoir in Streatley, and then on to the reservoir at Moulsford.
Woods Farm WTW currently supplies 2Ml of water a day to the area around Goring and Streatley, and the new 12" pipe will increase the amount to 9Ml daily.
Andrew Popple, capital delivery manager for Thames Water, said: “The south-east of England is seriously water-stressed so we need to make the best use of all the water available to us
“This new pipe will allow us to take more water from the ground and distribute it around the area. It’s part of our work to make sure we can continue to provide water to our customers now and into the future.”
The 12-month project, which will use no-dig technology where possible, began this month with an archaeological survey of the area being undertaken as the topsoil is removed before construction of the pipe begins.
- Thames engineers keeping services running during coronavirus outbreak Engineers from Thames Water are continuing to maintain essential water and wastewater services during the coronavirus... Read More >
- More than 100,000 children learn about the water industry More than 100,000 schoolchildren have been given an insight into how Thames Water deals with water and waste for millions... Read More >
- Smith to retire from water watchdog Tony Smith, chief executive of the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater), has announced that he is retiring from the... Read More >
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- Carrying out a pipeline assessment A look at how Anglian Water used pipeline assessment technology to determine the condition and remaining service life of a... Read More >
- Rewarding excellence WWT content director Alec Peachey looks ahead to next year's Water Industry Awards. Read More >
- Water pipelines - is there life after design life? Understanding the residual life of pipelines is crucial to making effective investment decisions, writes Guy Cleveland,... Read More >
- Safe handling: @One's pipe coil initiative When a member of the @One Alliance team suffered serious injuries while installing a section of coiled pipe, the company... Read More >