Technology to turn wastewater into energy wins £25K funding
A new type of technology that could turn wastewater into energy for households and local communities has secured one of the two top prizes of £25,000 in seed funding at the Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards 2018.
Created by Brunel University students Thomas Fudge and William Gambier, WASE uses cutting-edge technology to generate biogas from onsite wastewater that can then be used to provide heating and electricity to the household and reduce the carbon footprint.
It was named top technology at the Santander awards ceremony, which has become established as one of the UK’s largest entrepreneurial business pitching competitions for students and recent graduates.
Fudge, CEO and founder of WASE, said: “It’s truly fantastic to win the Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards.
"The support we have gained throughout has been amazing and we cannot wait to see how this win will enable WASE to grow over the next year as we start to pilot internationally to provide sanitation and energy to those who need it the most.”
Fodilicious, which provides 'free from' meals, won the non-technology award.
- Wastewater experts to speak on solutions to AMP6 challenges Water companies are being required to do more with less in AMP6, which is driving the industry's appetite for innovative... Read More >
- Severn Trent partners with Open Energi on demand response Severn Trent has agreed a deal with Open Energi to provide flexible demand response services from its equipment, helping... Read More >
- Edinburgh water works installs 1000 solar panels One thousand solar panels have been installed at a major water treatment works serving Edinburgh and parts of West Lothian... Read More >
- Going green at Severn Trent's Minworth STW With a £60 million investment aimed at producing 30 per cent more green energy from its largest sewage treatment works,... Read More >
- Veolia putting efficiency into effect As part of Anglian Water's Energy Efficiency and Optimisation framework, Veolia is using its global experience to assist... Read More >
- Finding value in liquid waste streams Matt Hale, international sales and marketing director at HRS Heat Exchangers, looks at how value can be extracted from... Read More >
- Innovation Zone: Boosting biogas production Regulatory changes mean that now is a good time for technologies that can help boost biogas production from sludge. Here... Read More >
- Turning the circular economy into reality The Europe-wide INCOVER project, which was among the winners at the Water Industry Awards 2018, shows how technology and... Read More >