Severn Trent ranks second in responsible business league table
Severn Trent has been ranked second in a league table that measures the environmental, social and ethical performance of the FTSE 100.
The water company has climbed nine places to claim second spot during the last quarter, as part of the Tortoise Responsibility100 Index.
The index examines how much FTSE 100 companies are doing to ensure a safe, fair and sustainable world, ranking them on their ability to do what they say they would.
This recognition follows a sustainability report recently published by Severn Trent, highlighting how its environmental, social and governance commitments are embedded in its business plan and what its ambitions are for the future.
Severn Trent chief executive Liv Garfield said: “I’m incredibly proud that we’ve been ranked second in the FTSE 100 for our environmental, social and ethical performance over the last quarter.
“Being socially responsible is at the very heart of our business plan, as we outlined in our first ever Sustainability Report, published only recently.
“It’s great to get this recognition, which will only spur us on to do more for the environment, our customers and the communities we serve.”
The ranking uses measures that deliver on the UN Sustainable Development Goals, with each company’s score calculated from publicly available data across more than 200 sources.
Scores are comprised of 17 individual targets spanning a wide range of topics from poverty and inequality to climate change and biodiversity.
- United Utilities announces £300,000 fund for catchment projects United Utilities has unveiled its plans for improving the North West's watercourses through partnership working and... Read More >
- New water trading platform will enable water sharing between licence holders in Suffolk A collaborative project between Anglian Water, Essex & Suffolk Water and Wheatley Solutions has launched to help manage... Read More >
- Scottish Water launches net-zero roadmap Scotland's daily requirement for more than one billion litres of water will be delivered entirely on renewable energy by... Read More >
- NI Water: A climate emergency gamechanger NI Water has launched its plans to harness the unseen potential in hydrogen from water, to help address the climate... Read More >
- Water supply chain ‘mission critical' to net zero The water industry's Net Zero 2030 Routemap represents a step-change for the sector, in which increasing prominence is... Read More >
- What are the implications of the Environment Bill on the water industry? After the pandemic forced a seven-month pause in debate, the Environment Bill has returned to Parliament, precipitating... Read More >
- Road to net-zero: the challenges and opportunities for water Today, the water industry became the world's first sector to launch a collective plan to deliver net zero carbon emissions... Read More >
- Responsive environmental resilience Rich Matthews, MD at Siltbuster Process Solutions (SPS), talks about industry pressures, the current performance of water... Read More >