Severn Trent appoints new Asset Creation head
Severn Trent has appointed Jane Simpson as its new Head of Asset Creation.
Simpson joins the Coventry-based company from Network Rail, where she was Chief Engineer for two-and-a-half years, also acting as chair of the Industry Standards Coordination Committee as well as being a member of the Industry Technology Strategic Leadership Group.
“Severn Trent meets many of the values I was looking for in a company,” said Simpson. “It’s a people focused organisation, has multiple stakeholders, is commercially driven, cares for safety and the environment, and of course has a proud legacy of infrastructure with engineering complexity.”
Earlier this year she was named as one of the top 20 inspirational women in rail and, in July, was included in the Daily Telegraph’s Top 50 Women in Engineering.
Liv Garfield, Chief Executive of Severn Trent, said: “We’re absolutely delighted to have Jane on board and can’t wait for her to get stuck into the engineering challenges that we have a business as we look to do the absolute best job for our customers while also offering the lowest bills in the land.”
Simpson joined British Rail as a graduate entrant in 1996, the year of its privatisation. She joined one of the infrastructure maintenance companies and became the first female Overhead Line Engineer. She then worked for six years delivering a range of projects at Marconi Communications before returning to Network Rail in 2004.
She graduated with a first class honours in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Coventry University and then attained an MPhil at Birmingham University, followed by a postgraduate placement at Cambridge University; she is also a Fellow of the IET.
- Wessex Water's civil sanction for polluting River Trym An Enforcement Undertaking (EU) from Wessex Water Services has been accepted by the Environment Agency (EA). It is the... Read More >
- Balfour Beatty wins a brace of coastal defence deals International infrastructure group Balfour Beatty has won two coastal defence contracts totalling £73M for Blackpool... Read More >
- Asset management recognition for Scottish Water Scottish Water's approach to asset management has been recognised by a new international standard - it has achieved ISO... Read More >
- Ready for resilience: Overcoming challenges on the BRP Working collaboratively with Severn Trent Water, independent infrastructure specialist Barhale has overcome some... Read More >
- Valve upgrade brings value to the Elan Valley Blackhall devised a solution involving 100-year asset life valves to reduce Totex cost and protect the environment around... Read More >
- Interview: Black and Veatch's Mark Kaney Black and Veatch's new director of asset management for Europe, Mark Kaney, tells Robin Hackett how the company hopes to... Read More >
- Problem solving upfront: embracing digital technology Scottish Water is the latest water utility to make advances in digital engineering through the use of BIM technology,... Read More >
- Engaging 'returners' will boost women in engineering Ahead of International Women in Engineering Day, Safa Elbashir, Water Engineer at AECOM, says that one of the keys for... Read More >