Sedgley Reservoir maintenance project completed
South Staffs Water has announced that maintenance works on Sedgley Reservoir have been completed.
Sedgley Reservoir is a large covered drinking water reservoir, hidden beneath the surface of Sedgley Beacon.
Over the last six months, essential proactive works have been carried out at the reservoir, by approved contractor Stonbury, to ensure the ongoing provision of high-quality and reliable clean water to customers.
The work, which was undertaken to maintain the roof of the reservoir and install new drainage, required a large area of shallow excavation to be undertaken on Sedgley Beacon.
South Staffs Water worked closely with its appointed ecological specialist and Birmingham and Black Country Wildlife Trust throughout the project, to mitigate any impact to the biodiversity of the Beacon.
Stephen Woodhams, project manager at South Staffs Water, said: "This was a significant project with around 13,000 tonnes of soil being removed, stored and replaced to enable the maintenance works to be completed.
"I’m happy to report that the works are now complete and the public are now able to use the area again. The community portal, which was created to provide a platform for key project updates, is still active and provides some great aerial footage showing the scale of the works."
- Costain appointed to UU maintenance framework contract Costain has been appointed as sole maintenance service provider by United Utilities across its operations under a... Read More >
- Public urged to give a wave for water Water company staff are continuing to keep the nation's water running during the current Covid-19 crisis. Read More >
- Anglian Water completes restoration of underground reservoir Engineers from Anglian Water have completed the restoration of a 150-year-old underground reservoir. Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >