Safer system secures chemical piping for UU
North-west water company United Utilities required a pipework system that could safely transport sodium hypochloride for its chlorination process at Rivington water treatment works (WTW) in Lancashire. The works was undergoing an upgrade which included replacing the existing pumps and tasked contractor Byzak with installing a reliable pipework solution to feed the new pumps.
Durapipe’s dual-contained pipework system, Durapipe Guardian, was chosen and has been installed as part of the refurbishment. The pipework was needed to transport sodium hypochloride from the bulk storage tanks to each of the seven new pumps.
The pipework was being installed in the ceiling voids of the plant so, due to the nature of the chemicals being carried, it was vital that the system was dual-contained to prevent any potential leakages spilling out into the plant and endangering unprotected workers. Durapipe said Byzak opted for Durapipe Guardian system due to its chemical resistance properties and ease of installation.
David Fielding, from Byzak, said: “Sourcing a reliable secondary containment system was imperative for this project to ensure the health and safety of those working at the plant. When we began searching for dual-contained pipework systems, we looked at a number of options on the market.
“Durapipe Guardian was the leading product in terms of performance capabilities and installation properties.”
Incorporating a patented Centralok system, Durapipe said its Guardian pipe is the only dual-containment system which provides a solid inner pipe fitting. The company said that the inner pipe is in a fixed position and can be easily jointed, compared with alternative dual-containment products where the inner section moves freely.
- Grundfos and Novozymes collaborate to solve global water challenges Enzymes and micro-organisms specialist Novozymes and pump technologies group Grundfos are collaborating to find new... Read More >
- South West Water to use remote controlled mowers South West Water have invested in three remote controlled grass mowers, which will allow for the better health and safety... Read More >
- Irish Water to invest EUR21.5M in Tullamore and Birr supply schemes Irish Water has signed a contract for major upgrades to the Tullamore and Birr water supply schemes. Read More >
- Safe handling: @One's pipe coil initiative When a member of the @One Alliance team suffered serious injuries while installing a section of coiled pipe, the company... Read More >
- Taking a stance on HAVS Jacqui McLaughlin, chief executive of Reactec, looks at how the risk from exposure to hand-arm vibration is assessed and... Read More >
- Time to get smart Mike Strahand, a director of the Sensors for Water Interest Group and MD at Analytical Technologies Inc., says the... Read More >
- Under pressure: Tackling leakage in new networks Leakage in new pipelines represents a significant problem but, working alongside Scottish Water, Ant Hire Solutions has... Read More >
- Making pipeline construction projects effective and sustainable The use of recycled pipe bedding and connections to development on brownfield sites are two ways in which plastic pipes... Read More >