Record-breaking pumps ordered for Hull
A contract for the design, manufacture and installation of one of the world's largest Archimedes screw pumping stations (PS) for stormwater has been won by Spaans Babcock. The specialist pump company has been awarded the multimillion-pound order, for a surface water PS in Hull, by Black & Veatch, which is Yorkshire Water’s principle contractor for the project.
Once refurbishment is completed, it is believed Bransholme surface water pumping station will be the largest capacity screw PS in the world for stormwater pumping. The company will install eight screw pumps in the new pumping station, two duty screws of 2.1m-diameter and six stormwater screws, each of which are 3.75m-diameter and more than 20m in length, the longest ever produced by Spaans. Each unit weighs more than 55 tonnes.
Each stormwater screw will have a 560kW main drive motor and capacity close to 4,000l/s.
Spaans is also installing monitoring systems which will analyse the equipment under both loaded and no-load conditions.
Spaans Babcock director Mark Brown said: “Archimedes screws are ideal for this application as the large flights and clearances allow the screws to handle the debris often found in stormwater, without blocking. The other significant advantage is that the pumps can be run dry, this means they can be tested periodically without flow to give confidence that when they are required to run in anger they will do so.”
Spaans Babcock, which is headquarted in the Netherlands, is the only screw pump manufacturer with its own UK-based project management and service network and has nominated supplier status for many UK water companies. The company operates out of its centrally-located base in Heywood, Lancashire.
Brown, who has been involved in the project from the development phase, which commenced more than four years ago, added: “We are delighted to be working with both Black & Veatch and Yorkshire Water in delivering this prestigious project which will help to protect the Bransholme and Kingswood areas from flooding at time of heavy rainfall.”
- Selwood wins pumps supplier framework at Southern Water Pump rental specialist Selwood has become a supplier of choice for Southern Water and its contractors, providing pumping... Read More >
- Sembcorp Bournemouth Water opts for Hydrant Wizard Sembcorp Bournemouth Water (SBW) has invested in a Hydrant Wizard, which allows water supplies to be maintained when work... Read More >
- Water Industry Achievement Awards 2015 finalists announced! Entries for this year's Water Industry Achievement Awards are in, and the judges have made their difficult decisions. The... Read More >
- Going green at Severn Trent's Minworth STW With a £60 million investment aimed at producing 30 per cent more green energy from its largest sewage treatment works,... Read More >
- Case Study: Pumping up quality at Burnham Jetty A year's worth of planning, seamless collaboration and technical expertise were crucial to the success of a complex... Read More >
- Thames Water rolls out energy-reducing sludge pump solution A smart air injection (SAI) system combined with progressive cavity pumps is proving key to more efficient sludge handling... Read More >
- Overcoming the issues of transporting dewatered sludge With Ofwat seeking to promote sludge trading to secure best value, efficient transportation solutions are required, SEEPEX... Read More >
- Case study: A customised pump solution for Hinkley Point A bespoke pumping system is proving key to the water management strategy for the major nuclear project in Somerset Read More >