Read WWT's guide to wastewater pump optimisation
In our latest WWT Explains guide, produced in association with Grundfos, we look at wastewater pump optimisation.
The UK has a big challenge in the form of wastewater. The nation’s pipes, pumps and treatment plants are creaking under rising pressure. Whether it’s a sudden downpour, a new housing development or an unexpected item showing up in the wastewater, utilities must adapt their systems to meet changing demands.
Wastewater pumps have a central part to play within this response. In August 2020, a prolonged heatwave across the UK gave way to heavy downpours in parts, producing floods in the worst-hit areas. The right pumping system can prevent combined sewers from overflowing under these circumstances.
This guide covers the following topic areas:
- What is an S-tube impeller pump and how can it be seen as transformational for wastewater?
- What were the results of field testing the S-tube impeller pump?
- How can the S-tube help water companies to deliver on their performance commitments for AMP7?
- What are the properties of conventional wastewater pump designs?
- How are the challenges of conventional pump designs commonly overcome?
- How does the S-tube’s efficiency curve compare to a conventional wastewater pump?
- How has the S-tube advanced the capacity of free passage through the pump hydraulic?
- How does the S-tube impeller pump’s vane-free design influence wear rates?
- How did modern computer science enable the design process for the S-tube impeller?
- Water firms urged to speed up progress on innovation The rate of uptake of new technologies by water companies is causing ongoing frustration within the supply chain, results... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water tackled more than 25,000 sewer blockages in 2020 Yorkshire Water has revealed it tackled more than 25,000 blockages in the region in 2020. Read More >
- Yorkshire Water awards £51.4m technical services contracts Yorkshire Water has awarded technical services contracts with a combined value of £51.4m to six partners - ACIEM, Atkins,... Read More >
- Flood resilience: what you need to know Geoff Williams, northern sales manager at Sykes Pumps, discusses the need for businesses and local authorities to think... Read More >
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- Rewarding excellence WWT content director Alec Peachey looks ahead to next year's Water Industry Awards. Read More >
- Going green at Severn Trent's Minworth STW With a £60 million investment aimed at producing 30 per cent more green energy from its largest sewage treatment works,... Read More >
- Case Study: Pumping up quality at Burnham Jetty A year's worth of planning, seamless collaboration and technical expertise were crucial to the success of a complex... Read More >