Pump failure earns NI Water £1,000 fine
NI Water was convicted yesterday (August 1) at Belfast Magistrates' Court of causing a water pollution incident at Mallusk, County Antrim in 2015.
The company Tpleaded guilty and was fined £1,000 plus £15 Offenders Levy for breaching the conditions of a discharge consent relating to the operation of Hydepark No.2 Wastewater Pumping Station (WwPS) located on Blackwater Road, Mallusk, County Antrim.
On August 24, 2015, a Water Quality Inspector (WQI) acting on behalf of the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) responded to a report of pollution in the Mallusk area affecting the Ballymartin Water, Mallusk. The next day, inspectors returned to Mallusk Park Industrial Estate to continue the investigation.
In a statement made under caution, NI Water stated that ‘a discharge occurred as a result of a failure of the second of two pumps at Hydepark No.2 WwPS on 23 August 2015’.
NIEA’s investigation determined that a second standby pump, the provision of which is a condition of the Department’s Consent to Discharge, had not been available at the pumping station for a number of weeks prior to the incident. If available, the second standby pump would have come into operation following the failure of the duty pump thereby preventing discharge from the station.
This situation contravened the conditions of a Water (NI) Order 1999 Consent to Discharge issued by the Department in respect of the installation.
- EA inspects Lyme Regis drains to pinpoint pollution The Environment Agency (EA) is carrying out a detailed inspection of the drains in Lyme Regis in a bid to pinpoint... Read More >
- CDEnviro offers totex business model for customers Waste management solutions provider CDEnviro is now offering a totex business model to its customers to allow the industry... Read More >
- Packaged biological treatment helps meet consents in South Wales Jacopa has delivered two of its packaged rotating biological contactors (RBCs) to help a wastewater treatment plant in... Read More >
- Increasing biogas yields from thickened sludge High-performance pumping was crucial to an Anglian Water project to improve the yield of biogas from sludge at a... Read More >
- Pump maintenance: keeping it pumping Maintaining pumps in top condition is a vital consideration in the totex equation for pumping assets, and water utilities... Read More >
- Why do motors fail? Pump motors can run for half a century if they are properly maintained, writes Dave Hawley Read More >
- Becoming a smart pump buyer When specifying a new pumping system, asset owners need to be able to answer key questions about their requirements,... Read More >
- Dewatering pump maintenance: Keep moving Maintaining your dewatering pumps goes a long way, writes Joe Moser, pump product manager, Atlas Copco Construction... Read More >