Northumbrian Water go global for Innovation Festival 2020
Northumbrian Water has announced plans for its fourth Innovation Festival which will have an international feel.
The water company has confirmed that it will hold the event in Newcastle in July next year, but will be joining forces with creators and innovators from across the world to take the festival to an international level.
The event, which focuses on championing new ways of thinking, will see attendees in the North East of England working on sprints, hacks and challenges alongside festival teams in America and Australia.
According to the company, introducing influences from across the world will help take sprints in new and exciting directions and offer a global perspective to tackling some of the big problems faced by the sector.
Nigel Watson, Northumbrian Water's information services director and festival founder, said: "We're very excited to officially announce that our incredible Innovation Festival will return for 2020 and this time we're taking it to another level. We're going global.
"It's big, it's ambitious and it's the first time something like this has ever been done by a water company and we're incredibly proud and excited to be leading the way.
"We've been really lucky to have attendees from international companies join us at the event in Newcastle over previous years, and we expect lots of them back for 2020, however the interest and attention the festival has gained from organisations worldwide meant that we had to look at how we could make it bigger and better. So we're doing it all over again, but on a global scale.
"By offering organisations and innovators in America and Australia the chance to continue our hard work overnight, once our Festival days are finished here in the UK, then we're able to open up our ideas and innovations to the whole world.”
This year's Innovation Festival attracted more than 3,000 people from nearly 700 organisations from across the world to the region to work together on ideas and come up with new inventions and creations.
The Innovation Festival 2020 will take place at Newcastle Racecourse from Monday July 6 to Friday July 10.
- British Water commits to improving gender equality British Water has committed to increasing the number of women on its non-executive board and has urged the rest of the... Read More >
- Z stick used to measure depth of pipes Engineers from Northumbrian Water are using a tool which helps measure the depth of underground water pipes. Read More >
- New WWT webinar will explore water's cross-sector innovation strategy A new WWT webinar will discuss plans for a new cross-sector innovation strategy being developed by UKWIR and water... Read More >
- Maximising value from sensor data In Internet of Things (IoT) projects, if you don't get integration right, no Thing can be done, and no project will... Read More >
- Future proofing water infrastucture with AI The water and wastewater industries are under pressure to refine their operations and upgrade infrastructure, but the... Read More >
- Come together to beat climate change Northumbrian Water chief executive Heidi Mottram's motivational message to the water sector on the opportunities and... Read More >
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- In the frame for delivery: UKWIR CEO on Ofwat's innovation competition With Ofwat confirming plans for a £200 million innovation competition which will run between 2020 and 2025, UKWIR chief... Read More >