NI Water halts domestic water meter installations
NI Water is to stop any further installation of water meters at domestic properties in Northern Ireland, Chris Hazzard, infrastructure minister in the Northern Ireland Assembly (NIA), has announced.
However, regulations will now need to be brought to the NIA before the installation of water meters in domestic properties can be stopped completely, which the minister has confirmed will be done as soon as possible.
Hazzard said: "Today I have instructed NI Water not to install any more water meters at domestic properties in the North. In the current financial climate, the continued waste of public money to install meters which will not be used cannot continue.
"Regulations are currently being drafted and consultation on these is legally required. Meanwhile I have instructed NI Water to cease this work immediately.
Officials will now begin consultation on the draft regulations so there is no further delay in dealing with this issue. Hazzard expects that regulations will be brought to the assembly after the summer recess.
- NI Water funding cuts risk 'tangible impacts' - CEO Northern Ireland Water CEO Sara Venning has issued a fresh warning over funding levels as the utility published its annual... Read More >
- Sale of NI reservoir put on hold Northern Ireland Water has halted a plan to sell a disused reservoir to the private sector after public opposition led to... Read More >
- Northern Ireland long term water strategy under the spotlight Over 100 representatives from government, the environmental and economic regulators, utilities, NGOs, contractors and... Read More >
- Scottish Water starts planning for the long term For SR21, Scottish Water is moving away from the traditional approach to business plans and developing a blueprint for the... Read More >
- Football teams and water companies: Closer than you think New season, new league, new challenges... Egremont Group's Owen Quinn and Alex Graham on the parallels between football... Read More >
- Abstract concept: How can water companies reduce abstraction? Despite concerns over supplies, water companies face pressure to reduce abstraction. As part of our Utility of the Future... Read More >
- The end of 'business as usual' in the water sector? James Connolly, head of partnerships at digital asset and works management company eviFile, assesses the message coming... Read More >
- Data Protection and Brexit - Is your organisation prepared? Guidance to help businesses and charities continue to comply with data protection law after the UK leaves the EU Read More >