NI Water awards network services contracts worth £240m
Northern Ireland Water has awarded major contracts valued at a total of up to £240 million to three local businesses.
The company announced that the water and wastewater network services contracts had been awarded to Meridian Utilities Ltd, McAllister Bros Ltd and Road Safety Contracts Ltd.
Jane Mellor, head of procurement at NI Water, said: "The tender process for this contract was very rigorous so I am delighted that NI Water is awarding such a high value contract to three local businesses.
"The contract supports NI Water in meeting its strategic priorities by providing repair and maintenance services to our extensive network of water mains and sewers.
"Day in, day out, every single night and day of the year, no matter the weather, the successful contractors will work closely with NI Water to make sure high quality drinking water comes out of everyone’s taps and that sewage is safely taken away from our homes, businesses and public buildings."
Meridian Utilities Ltd – a joint venture consisting of Morrow Contracts Ltd, Mills Contracts Ltd and T O’Connell & Sons – is based in Gilnahirk, Belfast, and has offices in Dungiven and Omagh.
Meridian Utilities Ltd will support NI Water through a £184 million water and wastewater networks services contract, providing a range of water and sewerage services, including sewer and water main repairs and maintenance, leakage repairs, street furniture maintenance and minor water and sewerage infrastructure improvements.
McAllister Bros Ltd, established in 1971, has remained a family-run business for over 45 years.
Headquartered in Newry, with offices in London, Belfast, Eglington and Horton, the McAllister Group of companies employs over 130 staff and operates a fleet of over 95 vehicles across its Ireland and Great Britain divisions.
This new contract will provide NI Water with strategic support in the delivery of sewer network maintenance activities including clearing of sewer blockages, cleaning of sewer network and CCTV surveys, with an estimated value of £43 million.
Road Safety Contracts (RSC Group), set up in 1983 by three brothers, is a progressive company operating in the waste management, environmental maintenance and road marking sectors. With a contract to the value of £13 million, it will support NI Water by desludging septic tanks for those customers not connected to the sewer network.
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- Carrying out a pipeline assessment A look at how Anglian Water used pipeline assessment technology to determine the condition and remaining service life of a... Read More >
- Rewarding excellence WWT content director Alec Peachey looks ahead to next year's Water Industry Awards. Read More >
- Water pipelines - is there life after design life? Understanding the residual life of pipelines is crucial to making effective investment decisions, writes Guy Cleveland,... Read More >
- Safe handling: @One's pipe coil initiative When a member of the @One Alliance team suffered serious injuries while installing a section of coiled pipe, the company... Read More >