MUS joins forces with PMP Utilities to complete Yorkshire Water project
Morrison Utility Services (MUS) has joined forces with PMP Utilities to complete repair works on a leaking sluice valve on behalf of Yorkshire Water.
Following a detailed inspection, confined space techniques were used to access the 500mm geared isolation valve, situated in a brick-built chamber beneath Chidswell Lane near Wakefield. The project scope involved the removal of the valve bonnet and gate from the isolation valve, followed by the removal of the equalizing valve. In addition, three blanking plates, fabricated on site, were installed to blank the 500mm valve bonnet and inlet/outlet flanges.
Gaskets were also cut on site prior to installation and portable grinders were used to cut the dismantled valve assembly in situ, before its removal via the 600mm man-way access. All remaining debris was removed and transported for disposal at PMP’s head office in Burnley.
Morrison Utility Services contract director Scott Beard commented: “This project provided an ideal opportunity for collaboration and I am delighted with the way in which the Morrison Utility Services leakage task team and PMP joined forces.”
PMP Utilities contract director Sean Haynes added: “This is very good example of the way in which PMP’s engineering knowledge, understanding of utility issues and experience of working in difficult to access locations can enable complex projects to be completed quickly and effectively with minimum disruption to the public.
“Although various remote access options were considered for this project, the hands-on personal assessments required meant that man entry inspection methods would be the only practicable solution. The valve’s location and the complexity of the works in a live environment meant that our specialist confined space engineering and survey skills, along with our in-house capability to fabricate the bespoke blank plates on site, proved essential. We are delighted with the way this project was delivered in collaboration with Morrison Utility Services.”
- MGJV secures £14.6M pipeline contract with Southern The joint venture between Galliford Try and Morrison Utility Services (MGJV) has been awarded a £14.6 million contract by... Read More >
- MUS gets water network alliance deal with Welsh Water Morrison Utility Services (MUS), the UK's largest dedicated utility service provider and part of M Group Services, has... Read More >
- MUS trialling exoskeletons for Yorkshire Water contract Morrison Utility Services is running field trials with high-tech, spring-loaded upper body exoskeletons to reduce the... Read More >
- In the frame for delivery: UKWIR CEO on Ofwat's innovation competition With Ofwat confirming plans for a £200 million innovation competition which will run between 2020 and 2025, UKWIR chief... Read More >
- A digital revolution in water The UK Water Partnership (UKWP) has launched a 10-point action plan to help ensure that UK plc wins its share of an... Read More >
- Industry 4.0 - how to build a digital twin Chris Steele, head of information management and analytics at Black & Veatch Europe, runs through the steps required to... Read More >
- Rewarding excellence WWT content director Alec Peachey looks ahead to next year's Water Industry Awards. Read More >
- Refining water quality management As part of our Utility of the Future campaign, Nadine Buddoo looks at why maintaining water quality is a fundamental... Read More >