Anglian Water security manager awarded MBE
Anglian Water's security manager, Lynda Chamberlain, who recently retired, has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's birthday honours list.
Starting as a secretary before moving into business resilience and security, Chamberlain worked for Anglian Water for 41 years. Whilst working in business resilience she was the driving force behind ensuring the company’s assets were protected from external threats.
She was nominated by Defra for ‘improving the security and resilience of the water sector’ and will be invited to Buckingham Palace in the coming months to receive her MBE.
She said: “I didn’t know until about 5 weeks ago when I had a letter that I had been nominated. I was absolutely amazed when I heard, and I can’t stop smiling!
“It’s a brilliant end to a long career at Anglian Water. The day I got the job I remember getting a letter from Anglian Water and my dad saying, ‘You’ve got a job for life there’ but at the time I didn’t think about that. He would have been so proud to hear this news.
“I went into emergency planning and security in 2000 and soon afterwards 9/11 happened which is hen all the big changes to the industry came. Defra have produced a lot of recommendations and we have spent a lot money and effort on security on our sites since then.
“I feel I’ve left an industry which is a lot safer than when I started. People often used to ask me how I get to sleep at night with all the threats we need to worry about but you wouldn’t do the job if you let it get to you. It’s always in the back of your mind when something comes on the news, and events recently have changed things again.”
- Lanes gets non-routine sewer service contract with Anglian Anglian Water has awarded a contract to Lanes Group plc to deliver non-routine first- time resolution sewer unblocking... Read More >
- Infrastructure coalition starts plans for net-zero economy Mott MacDonald, Anglian Water, Skanska, Transport for London, UKCRIC and the UK Green Building Council have joined... Read More >
- Anglian Water launches Southend sewer relining scheme Anglian Water has announced a multimillion-pound investment in Southend's sewers is underway. The scheme involves relining... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >