Labour wants social responsibility clause added to Water Bill
The Labour Party wants a new social responsibility clause included in the Water Bill. Shadow water minister Gavin Shuker, speaking at All Party Parliamentary Water Group meeting at the Labour Party conference in Brighton yesterday, said the clause will "raise all water companies to the standards of the best".
The Water Bill is currently making its way through Parliament and Shuker told the group that Labour is seeking compulsory social tariffs for water to be introduced; a workable deal on flood insurance; better implementation of retail competition; a sustainability duty for regulator Ofwat; and transparent management of the water companies' tax affairs.
Shuker added that the current consensus around water between consumers, government and the industry "could break down" if prices rose, assets failed or climate change-related were not addressed.
- British Water hosts Women on Water event British Water has announced its next Women on Water event, which will continue the theme of 'empowering empowered women'... Read More >
- Water companies close down reservoirs to combat Covid-19 outbreak Water companies are asking people to stay at home for the good of their health rather than visit popular sites like... Read More >
- Editorial comment: The coronavirus response Water & Wastewater Treatment content director Alec Peachey reflects on the coronavirus outbreak and how the sector has... Read More >
- Asset resilience will be one of the beneficiaries of PR19 Richard Broome, Managing Director at LSBUD talks about why Ofwat's PR19 could prove to be such a positive influence on... Read More >
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- Meeting AMP7 leakage targets Damian Crawford, head of smart networks & leakage at Stantec, discusses how becoming data-rich and knowledge-smart can... Read More >
- Rewarding excellence WWT content director Alec Peachey looks ahead to next year's Water Industry Awards. Read More >
- Delivering a smart network Tom Mills, senior director UK&I at Sensus, examines what a smart water network really means - and how to get there. Read More >