Labour wants social responsibility clause added to Water Bill
The Labour Party wants a new social responsibility clause included in the Water Bill. Shadow water minister Gavin Shuker, speaking at All Party Parliamentary Water Group meeting at the Labour Party conference in Brighton yesterday, said the clause will "raise all water companies to the standards of the best".
The Water Bill is currently making its way through Parliament and Shuker told the group that Labour is seeking compulsory social tariffs for water to be introduced; a workable deal on flood insurance; better implementation of retail competition; a sustainability duty for regulator Ofwat; and transparent management of the water companies' tax affairs.
Shuker added that the current consensus around water between consumers, government and the industry "could break down" if prices rose, assets failed or climate change-related were not addressed.
- Action plan announced to protect Somerset from flood risk Environment secretary Owen Paterson has outlined a new action plan to better protect homes and businesses in Somerset from... Read More >
- Operational efficiencies saves Affinity Water £12M Affinity Water has announced revenue of £288M on a pre-tax profit of £43M for the year to March 31, 2013. Read More >
- NI Water funding cuts risk 'tangible impacts' - CEO Northern Ireland Water CEO Sara Venning has issued a fresh warning over funding levels as the utility published its annual... Read More >
- Scottish Water starts planning for the long term For SR21, Scottish Water is moving away from the traditional approach to business plans and developing a blueprint for the... Read More >
- Football teams and water companies: Closer than you think New season, new league, new challenges... Egremont Group's Owen Quinn and Alex Graham on the parallels between football... Read More >
- Abstract concept: How can water companies reduce abstraction? Despite concerns over supplies, water companies face pressure to reduce abstraction. As part of our Utility of the Future... Read More >
- The end of 'business as usual' in the water sector? James Connolly, head of partnerships at digital asset and works management company eviFile, assesses the message coming... Read More >
- Data Protection and Brexit - Is your organisation prepared? Guidance to help businesses and charities continue to comply with data protection law after the UK leaves the EU Read More >