Kier mobilises staff to help with flood defence
Water industry contractor Kier has mobilised staff to help out in local communities affected by the floods. The company has also donated more than 32,000 sandbags and in excess of 1,355 tonnes of sand so far to flood-stricken communities in Somerset, Surrey, Aylesbury and the Thames Valley.
A spokesperson for Kier said: “Working with the Environment Agency, councils, emergency services and the Armed Forces, Kier has mobilised teams of employees, who operate in local communities, to fill and distribute sandbags in order to protect homes and businesses from rising water levels and the threat of flooding.
"Its Surrey Highways team is running a 24-hour operation with the Army in order to keep up with the demand for sandbags and, working with the Canal & River Trust, its Team Van Oord JV has redeployed staff to help provide temporary defences in Somerset.
"We are committed to helping the local communities we serve as much as we can in these difficult times.”
- Northumbrian awards contract for £46M Horsley WTW upgrade Northumbrian Water has awarded the contract for a major upgrade of its Horsley Water Treatment Works. Read More >
- Teesside flood protection scheme complete A £3M scheme to reduce the risk of flooding to 350 homes and 32 businesses in Teesside is complete. Read More >
- AECOM report outlines a water sensitive Yorkshire Engineering design giant AECOM has published a document that identifies a more sustainable approach to urban and rural... Read More >
- Tyre microplastics pollution: Ignore it or remove it? Tyre microplastics is one of the largest sources of pervasive pollution in the water environment, yet consistently ignored... Read More >
- Meeting the SuDS challenge A report indicates that the UK has a long way to go on implementing sustainable drainage systems, yet advice and... Read More >
- Capital's infrastructure needs integrated water approach The concerns of Londoners about the capital city's resilience highlight the need for integrated planning across water,... Read More >
- Ready for anything: Resilience in the Round Resilience is one of the four priorities that Ofwat wants to see water companies adopt in their plans for PR19. But what... Read More >
- Moving towards greener resilience Nature-based solutions can help us to see the big picture when building in system resilience, writes Dr Jonathan Simm,... Read More >