EC urges Austria to enact chemical pollution rules in water policy
Austria is being urged by the European Commission (EC) to enact the Directive on priority substances in the field of water policy (Directive 2013/39/EU) in its domestic law. The obligation had to be fulfilled by September 14, 2015.
Priority substances are chemicals that present a significant risk to or via the aquatic environment within the EU. This directive aims to reduce such pollution of waters at the source by setting levels of concentration that are safe for the aquatic environment and for human health.
The directive takes into account new priority substances for the achievement of good surface water chemical status - which is defined in terms of compliance with all the quality standards established for chemical substances at European level - with a focus on emerging pollutants.
After the Austrian authorities missed the original deadline, the EC sent a letter of formal notice on November 20, 2015. As the domestic legislation for the enactment of the directive is still at the consultation and assessment stage, the commission is now sending a reasoned opinion. Austria has two months in which to notify the commission of measures taken to bring national legislation in line with EU law, otherwise the commission may refer the Austrian authorities to the EU Court of Justice.
- UK government funds developing world water prize The UK government has funded a £1.25M, multi-year innovation prize for water specialists and investors who can come up... Read More >
- Northumbrian Water launches joint tender for pipes Northumbrian Water, Wales and West Utilities and Northern Gas Networks Operations have issued a joint tender for the... Read More >
- Southern Water unveils three AMP6 delivery partners Southern Water has announced three partners it will work with to deliver AMP6 improvements under its business plan for... Read More >
- Refining water quality management As part of our Utility of the Future campaign, Nadine Buddoo looks at why maintaining water quality is a fundamental... Read More >
- Shifting the dial on drinking water challenges Ahead of WWT Drinking Water Quality Conference, Anglian Water's director of water services, Paul Valleley, provides the... Read More >
- Over-pressurisation: A serious risk for lime storage silos Hycontrol managing director Nigel Allen warns that many lime storage silos are disasters waiting to happen, and steps need... Read More >
- Why valve checks are an essential part of summer maintenance Fraser Higgins, Durapipe UK industrial product manager, explains why valves should not be overlooked as part of the summer... Read More >
- Case Study: Pumping up quality at Burnham Jetty A year's worth of planning, seamless collaboration and technical expertise were crucial to the success of a complex... Read More >