Drone gives bird's-eye view of £63M Woolston WwTW scheme
A remote-controlled drone has provided a bird's-eye view of Southern Water's £63M project to transform the wastewater treatment works in Woolston, Southampton.
The company said the drone had captured the giant jigsaw-puzzle site, where a new treatment works is being built around the old existing works and a temporary area on land adjacent to the site. The major redevelopment at Woolston Wastewater Treatment Works is being carried out by 4Delivery.
Richard Hodgson, project manager at Southern Water, said: "This is a complex construction project, the end result of which will be a state-of-the art treatment works which will serve the Woolston community long into the future."
Since work began in 2014, the project has seen more than 2,000 crane lifts, more than 5,500m3 of concrete placed, and moved more than 4,700 tonnes of excavations cleared. A tower crane has been on site helping workers access different areas across the site.
Specialist contractors are now installing the mechanical process equipment and a concrete specialist is focused on installing pre-cast structures.
Water tests on the tanks are in progress to ensure there will be no leaks once wastewater is added.
- Southern appoints Ofgem director as new chairman Southern Water has appointed Keith Lough as independent chairman and Kevin McCullough as an independent non-executive... Read More >
- 'Business as usual' for Interserve after administration Interserve has entered administration after its rescue plan was voted down by shareholders on Friday. Read More >
- NI Water plans £130M spending spree NI Water has £130M to spend on contracts covering goods and services required over the next 18 months. The company, which... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >