Demand for water surges during 'driest May on record'
Record dry weather is causing significant peaks in demand for water, the industry has warned.
Representative body Water UK insisted that there is no shortage of water, as there are good supplies of water in reservoirs after a wet winter.
However, the water companies have seen a huge rise in demand for water from households recently, particularly during the evenings.
The average overall increase in water use is 20%, with some areas seeing peak demand of up to 40% above normal for this time of year. That represents a UK-wide increase of more than 2.2 billion litres per day being used.
Water use has risen due to the combination of people having to stay at home during the Covid-19 lockdown and the record dry weather, which has resulted in more water being used in gardens.
Water UK and water efficiency campaign group Waterwise have joined forces to offer advice to customers on how to reduce their water use while remaining healthy and hydrated.
There are currently no plans for hosepipe bans in the UK.
- Water sector responds to EA's shocking river pollution figures The water sector has responded to the environment minister's call for more to be done about pollution in England's rivers,... Read More >
- National Apprenticeship Week 2021: Young people urged to consider a career in water Water companies up and down the country are encouraging young people to consider a career in the industry as part of this... Read More >
- Digital Conference: 'Collaborate, don't wait' on resource planning The most successful future water companies will be those most able to collaborate. This was the central message emerging... Read More >
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- Rewarding excellence WWT content director Alec Peachey looks ahead to next year's Water Industry Awards. Read More >
- Refining water quality management As part of our Utility of the Future campaign, Nadine Buddoo looks at why maintaining water quality is a fundamental... Read More >
- AMP7: putting the customer centre stage 2020 marks the beginnings of a new chapter for clients and contractors in the water industry with the start of AMP7, the... Read More >
- The price of water As part of our Utility of the Future campaign, Robin Hackett looks at whether low water bills can be maintained long term Read More >