Costain appointed to UU maintenance framework contract
Costain has been appointed as sole maintenance service provider by United Utilities across its operations under a framework contract for an initial period of five years with an option to extend to 10 years.
Under the contract, the smart infrastructure solutions company will provide overall management and delivery of United Utilities’ larger-scale water and wastewater asset maintenance activities across the entirety of its network, including 96 water treatment and 575 wastewater treatment sites, which serves over six million people in the North West of England.
This contract marks the first time United Utilities has outsourced its maintenance activity as it seeks to drive material efficiency and operational improvements in line with customer expectations and regulatory requirements.
Utilising Costain’s integrated technology and consulting solutions, United Utilities aims to move from a reactive ‘fix-on-fail’ approach to a proactive maintenance programme, thereby improving the resilience of its assets and environmental outcomes while ensuring continuity of supply and consequently lowering costs for its customers.
Contract mobilisation will begin immediately in preparation for the official start in June 2019. The framework is expected to be worth around £35 million per annum throughout the duration of the contract.
Costain CEO Alex Vaughan said: “By integrating our programme management, asset optimisation and technology capabilities, Costain will help United Utilities to support its business transformation.
"Our integrated services and use of digital technology will help to deliver a step change in business performance and operational efficiencies for United Utilities in support of their strategy and in line with customer expectations and regulatory requirements.”
- Southern Water cleared on two East Worthing pollution charges Southern Water has been cleared of two charges in connection with the release of untreated sewage from its East Worthing... Read More >
- Amey wins £129M maintenance deal with Affinity Affinity Water has awarded a £129M, five-year deal to public and regulated services provider Amey. The contract is for... Read More >
- United Utilities helps fund SuDS tree research in Manchester Greater Manchester is at the centre of research to pinpoint how street trees and landscaping could help reduce flooding,... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- Round table: Taking stock of totex Has total expenditure become enshrined in utilities' practices? A special pan-utility round table held at Utility Week... Read More >
- Round Table: Smart Asset Management for Water Companies Smart asset management is expected to drive significant improvements in water companies' operations, but is the industry... Read More >
- Into the Deep using advanced camera techniques Underwater drones, also known as remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) have proved key to the inspection of... Read More >
- Opinion: Protecting our water assets against cyber threats It's vital that engineers start to lead the conversation on cyber security for operational technology in the water... Read More >