Carbon Trust Standard for Southern Water
Southern Water's continued efforts to measure, manage and improve its carbon efficiency has earned it the Carbon Trust Standard. Administered by The Carbon Trust, the accolade acknowledges Southern Water's efforts to reduce its impact on the environment.
The company is investing millions of pounds in carbon mitigation and energy efficiency schemes between 2010 and 2015.
It now has Combined Heat and Power (CHP) units that produce renewable energy at 16 of its wastewater treatment works. These take biogas created during the treatment process and use it to provide 80% of the power needed on site with any surplus exported to the National Grid.
Southern Water has the capacity to generate 70MkWh of electricity from its CHP units – 15% of its energy needs.
Emma Bennett, Southern Water’s Carbon Policy manager, said: “Cutting carbon emissions is a priority for Southern Water and we are delighted to have our efforts recognised formally with the Carbon Trust Standard.”
- Yorkshire Water plans sustainable development around WwTW Yorkshire Water and sister company Keyland Developments Ltd have submitted a planning application to Bradford City Council... Read More >
- Government backs technology to convert wastewater into commercial fertiliser CCm Technologies in partnership with Severn Trent has been awarded approximately £1 million government funding to explore... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water partners Ward and Burke for new treatment works Yorkshire Water has named Ward and Burke as its capital partner for the construction of its new Withernsea wastewater... Read More >
- Where there's muck, there’s brass Tim Broadhurst, CCO of CooperOstlund, on utilising sewage and sludge as a renewable energy feedstock and how to maximise... Read More >
- Going green at Severn Trent's Minworth STW With a £60 million investment aimed at producing 30 per cent more green energy from its largest sewage treatment works,... Read More >
- Veolia putting efficiency into effect As part of Anglian Water's Energy Efficiency and Optimisation framework, Veolia is using its global experience to assist... Read More >
- Finding value in liquid waste streams Matt Hale, international sales and marketing director at HRS Heat Exchangers, looks at how value can be extracted from... Read More >
- Innovation Zone: Boosting biogas production Regulatory changes mean that now is a good time for technologies that can help boost biogas production from sludge. Here... Read More >