Atkins appointed as technical advisor to Ofwat
Atkins has been appointed by Ofwat to provide technical advice for large infrastructure projects.
Atkins will provide Ofwat advice on projects and programmes associated with direct procurement for customers (DPC) and future assets and resources (FAR).
Richard Whale, managing director – water at Atkins, said: “Our aim is to help the water industry deliver large projects in an effective way, ultimately ensuring customers get the best, and most cost-efficient, service. Our teams will bring their expertise from a range of UK water projects, big and small, to ensure the industry delivers in the best way possible.”
Atkins will advise on schemes including tunnels, water treatment plants, water transfer schemes and reservoirs. Working with Ofwat and water companies, Atkins will advise on design, feasibility, risk and implementation, as well as assuring projects meet regulation and customer requirements.
Atkins’ advisory role will initially run for a period of two years.
The appointment comes off the back of Atkins’ role on large water infrastructure projects including schemes for Wessex Water and Severn Trent Water and Thames Water as its Strategic Delivery Partner.
- Water industry seeks partners to embed circular economy approach across the sector The UK water industry has set itself the ambition of embedding the principles of a circular economy - maximising resource... Read More >
- United Utilities embarks on 'world-leading' UV project Pioneering technology is set to transform a Cumbrian water treatment works into a world- first. Read More >
- Ofwat delivers draft decisions on strategic regional water resource options Ofwat has today recommended that four strategic regional water resource solutions pass through accelerated gate one - its... Read More >
- Road to net-zero: the challenges and opportunities for water Today, the water industry became the world's first sector to launch a collective plan to deliver net zero carbon emissions... Read More >
- Building a watertight defence against an evolving cyber security threat Lucas Young, Axis Communications, explains why collaboration and tighter controls are essential to defend our water... Read More >
- Asset resilience will be one of the beneficiaries of PR19 Richard Broome, Managing Director at LSBUD talks about why Ofwat's PR19 could prove to be such a positive influence on... Read More >
- Reaching net carbon zero In summer 2019, the water industry committed to reach net carbon zero by 2030. This is a very ambitious aim and... Read More >
- Meeting AMP7 leakage targets Damian Crawford, head of smart networks & leakage at Stantec, discusses how becoming data-rich and knowledge-smart can... Read More >