Anglian uses Bluesky 3D models to improve infrastructure
Highly detailed 3D models, derived from the latest aerial photography, are helping Anglian Water design, build and communicate major infrastructure and non- infrastructure asset projects across the east of England.
Created by aerial mapping company Bluesky, the 3D models are being used by the @one Alliance, a collaboration of consultants and contractors working together to deliver more than half of Anglian Water’s capital investment programme.
The Bluesky models are being used to create 3D animations and fly-throughs that communicate potentially complex plans in an easy to interpret and engaging way.
Examples of projects where the Bluesky models have already been used by the @one Alliance include a £3 million scheme to upgrade pumping stations and reduce the risk of flooding in Great Yarmouth and an ambitious project to relocate Cambridge’s Waste Water Recycling facility to Waterbeach.
“The models from Bluesky are an important starting point when developing a digital project environment,” Clare Kovaks, 4D Planner at the Anglian Water @one Alliance, said.
“The Bluesky models enable us to create understandable but still accurate visualisations that are used at every stage of the project lifecycle. We use the Bluesky models to inform designs, communicate ideas and gather public support.
“In addition to helping communicate and engage the Bluesky models also allows us to digitally rehearse the build sequence, giving the model context. This can highlight potential issues onsite saving time, and therefore costs, and mitigating risk.”
The Bluesky 3D models are photogrammetrically derived from high resolution stereo aerial photography. Supplied ready to use in the Google SketchUp, and onward use in Synchro the 4D construction scheduling software, the Bluesky models provide a detailed visualisation of the environment allowing for interaction, analysis and interrogation of the landscape and infrastructure. Geographically accurate, the 3D models also included a Digital Terrain Model (DTM).
The Anglian Water @one Alliance comprises consultants, contractors and other stakeholders who together will deliver projects accounting for over half of Anglian Water’s capital investment programme.
The @one Alliance will design and build around 800 schemes worth approximately £1.2 billion including water and water recycling treatment centres serving more than six million people in eastern England (and the Hartlepool Water region) and maintaining/improving the region’s water mains and sewerage network. Alliance partners are Anglian Water Asset Delivery, Balfour Beatty, Barhale, MMB, SWECO, Skanska and Stantec Treatment.
- 'Heat map' to highlight BIM readiness in infrastructure Civil engineers from all infrastructure sectors, including water and wastewater, are being urged to help the Institution... Read More >
- Electro Scan agrees partnership with WRc WRc has agreed a partnership with US firm Electro Scan to offer its innovative pipe condition assessment solutions to the... Read More >
- Anglian becomes third to appeal final determination Anglian Water has asked Ofwat to refer its PR19 final determination to the CMA and becomes the third company to do so. Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- A data-led approach to clearing FOG Water utilities have a major challenge working with local food businesses to prevent fats, oils and grease entering the... Read More >
- The robots aren't coming... they're already here Stantec lead design engineer Dan Causley looks at advances in technology and their role in boosting productivity in the... Read More >
- Opinion: A smarter way to read the water network Smart metering technology could be the key to closing water companies' knowledge gaps about usage in their network -... Read More >
- Smart thinking: The digital asset management revolution With many of the pieces now in place for a digital asset management revolution, AI and machine learning solutions are set... Read More >