‘Untapped potential' hidden in water utility data
UK water utilities have barely started to realise the potential of data in terms of strategy and business transformation, according to Sahadev Singh, global head of water utilities at Indian IT specialist Wipro.
In an exclusive article for WWT, Singh said that compared with companies like Google and Amazon, water utilities “have only just started to scratch the surface in terms of the strategic value data possesses".
Singh said they need to take a fresh look at “improving operational efficiencies and customer services in a complex environment of demand, sustainability, competition, regulation and cost pressure".
The regulator, Ofwat, is moving to a risk-based review of utility business plans, “scrutinising each one with a key focus on defined outcomes, costs, risk and reward, affordability and finance-ability". Singh said this will pose further challenges and the re-alignment of operational efficiency programmes and investment strategies.
He said the answer to this issue is “the massive untapped potential that is hidden in the vast amounts of existing data assets". He argued that the role of data in managing and operating a resilient and sustainable business has become every bit as critical as managing and operating the physical infrastructure itself.
The full article will appear in WWT February, out on January 29, 2014.
- Irish Republic's Water Services Act becomes law The Water Services (No.2) Act 2013 to establish a new national water utility as a state-owned subsidiary within Bord Gáis... Read More >
- 65% want more clarity over water bills - study Almost two-thirds of UK consumers are calling out for greater transparency in how bill payments are spent by water... Read More >
- NMCNomenca wins Severn Trent AMP6 deal NMCNomenca is to help deliver Severn Trent Water's next phase of upgrade and improvement works as part of a £400-£500M... Read More >
- Moving towards maintenance 4.0 Water utilities need to embrace smart asset management technologies but that is only part of the solution, writes Chris... Read More >
- A data-led approach to clearing FOG Water utilities have a major challenge working with local food businesses to prevent fats, oils and grease entering the... Read More >
- The robots aren't coming... they're already here Stantec lead design engineer Dan Causley looks at advances in technology and their role in boosting productivity in the... Read More >
- Opinion: A smarter way to read the water network Smart metering technology could be the key to closing water companies' knowledge gaps about usage in their network -... Read More >
- Smart thinking: The digital asset management revolution With many of the pieces now in place for a digital asset management revolution, AI and machine learning solutions are set... Read More >