Improvements should reduce water stress
A three-phase refurbishment project will bring multifaceted benefits for Sutton & East Surrey Water, says B&V
Engineering consultancy Black & Veatch (B&V) is undertaking a challenging refurbishment project at Sutton & East Surrey Water’s (SESW) Bough Beech water treatment works (WTW). The major upgrade will increase capacity and ensure long-term security of supply for some of the utility’s 650,000 domestic and commercial customers.
The bulk, 85%, of SESW’s supply comes from ground water resources. The remaining 15% of raw water is abstracted from the River Eden and stored at Bough Beech Reservoir near Sevenoaks in Kent, prior to treatment at the WTW.
A three-phase programme of enhancements at Bough Beech will raise capacity to 70Ml/d. This will allow SESW to realise the full benefits of its abstraction licence. B&V is engaged as design and build contractor to deliver Phase 2, which raises capacity from 45 to 50Ml/d.
Phase 2 includes additional granular activated carbon filters; upgrade of trihalomethane removal plant and sludge handling plant; and new treated water pumps. The site’s power supply is also being upgraded.
A combination of the constrained site and ground conditions has given rise to one of the project’s most significant challenges. Virgin ground at Bough Beech is weald clay, stable when dry but challenging to work with when wet. The need to work within the boundaries of the existing works meant that some of the new structures were built upon made ground, often very close to the footings of existing structures.
Minimising the environmental impact of the project has remained a priority. Where possible existing structures have been repurposed or reused.
Reducing the demand for materials and the need to dispose excavated materials to landfill has reduced the project’s overall carbon footprint. Phase 2 is nearing completion; allowing SSEW to make better use of the winter flows abstracted from the Eden. In one of the UK’s most water-stressed regions this enhanced resource will help support effective management of the supply/demand balance. nnn
- Calmer waters ahead Despite a tumultuous year for Mouchel, Jamie Woods (right), operating group director for regulated industries, tells... Read More >
- Procurement overhaul delivers success for Thames The outsourcing of Thames Water's procurement function to management consultancy Efficio has reaped cost savings, says... Read More >
- Difference is the power of alliancing Finding the right partners to embark on a collaborative journey is vital - behaviour assessments can help. WET News editor... Read More >
- Going green at Severn Trent's Minworth STW With a £60 million investment aimed at producing 30 per cent more green energy from its largest sewage treatment works,... Read More >
- New dimensions: How BIM drove Scottish Water's Tullich WTW project With ESD making extensive use of BIM including 4D visualisation tools, Scottish Water has successfully completed a £29... Read More >
- Microplastics: Plastics, plastics everywhere There is growing evidence that microplastics passed on through our wastewater have become widespread in aquatic... Read More >
- Preparing for better phosphorus removal in AMP7 In order to meet the more stringent phosphorus removal requirements expected in 2020- 25, wastewater utilities will need to... Read More >
- Offsite build powers South East Water's £22M treatment works expansion South East Water's expansion of Bray Keleher Water Treatment Works is in full swing, with offsite manufacture aiding... Read More >