Comment: Are staff working under-valued?
According to a survey by trade union GMB, employees working for privatised water companies are "insecure, under-valued and demoralised" but the same cannot be said apparently for those staff working at non-profiting Dwr Cymru Welsh Water and public company Scottish Water
The survey says that workers of privatised water companies scored high in terms of stress levels, job insecurity and pensions concerns.
The union also accuses water sector managers and regulator of complacency that fails consumers and staff.
"It has been interesting to see how the water companies are placing an ever increasing value on staff"
Just why the water industry has been singled out, I have no idea because it seems that these issues would also feature high up if the survey was carried out in any other industry sector.
Also, having been involved with the Water Industry Achievement Awards since their inception, it has been interesting to see how the water companies are placing an ever increasing value on their staff now compared with just as few years ago, investing vast sums of money on training and staff retention schemes.
Investment has also been on the increase in terms of customer care.
Perhaps the next time that the GMB carries out this survey it should include all industries.
- Round Table: Embedding Effective Asset Management Asset management in AMP6 and beyond will require water companies in England and Wales to take a longer-term perspective... Read More >
- Customers, Innovation, Sprinting and The Gruffalo A design sprint on customer service at WWT's recent Water Industry Technology Innovation Conference highlighted how the... Read More >
- Opinion: We need to talk about water If different sectors of society work in unison to manage our collective water resources, we will find more sustainable... Read More >
- Meet the WIA Finalists: Water Industry Contractor of the Year In the run-up to the Water Industry Awards, WWT is taking a close look at the companies and initiatives that have made the... Read More >
- MWH Treatment: Building on a legacy MWH Treatment is celebrating its past as well as looking to the future. WET News caught up with MD Paul Bresnan and... Read More >
- Meet the WIA Finalists: DfMA Project of the Year In the run-up to the Water Industry Awards, WWT is taking a close look at the companies and initiatives which have made... Read More >
- Networking skills: MUS helps Leeds to smarten up Morrison Utility Services has delivered a groundbreaking smart water network project in Leeds on behalf of Yorkshire Water Read More >
- Improving the outcomes-based approach to delivering infrastructure With busy periods approaching across a number of sectors, it is vital to ensure the right approach is in place, Stantec... Read More >