Comment: Are staff working under-valued?
According to a survey by trade union GMB, employees working for privatised water companies are "insecure, under-valued and demoralised" but the same cannot be said apparently for those staff working at non-profiting Dwr Cymru Welsh Water and public company Scottish Water
The survey says that workers of privatised water companies scored high in terms of stress levels, job insecurity and pensions concerns.
The union also accuses water sector managers and regulator of complacency that fails consumers and staff.
"It has been interesting to see how the water companies are placing an ever increasing value on staff"
Just why the water industry has been singled out, I have no idea because it seems that these issues would also feature high up if the survey was carried out in any other industry sector.
Also, having been involved with the Water Industry Achievement Awards since their inception, it has been interesting to see how the water companies are placing an ever increasing value on their staff now compared with just as few years ago, investing vast sums of money on training and staff retention schemes.
Investment has also been on the increase in terms of customer care.
Perhaps the next time that the GMB carries out this survey it should include all industries.
- Water Industry Awards 2018: Enter Now! The Water Industry Awards, organised by WWT and WET News, are back for the 12th successive year and are now open for... Read More >
- Blowing the whistle on water Given the public interest and health issues relating to the water industry, utilities and their supply chains need to... Read More >
- Project Focus: NI Water invests £14m in Belfast supply system A new 29km pipeline under construction in Belfast includes six major crossings which requires the use of trenchless... Read More >
- Interview: Atkins' Daressa Frodsham Atkins' new head of UK water, Daressa Frodsham, tells Robin Hackett that the company has what it takes to tackle the huge... Read More >
- Ready for resilience: Overcoming challenges on the BRP Working collaboratively with Severn Trent Water, independent infrastructure specialist Barhale has overcome some... Read More >
- Managed service web portal pays off for Anglian Water A map-based web portal using GPS positioning has enabled Anglian Water's mobile workforce to better handle its planning... Read More >
- Microbe management: MBBR upgrade at Bolton-upon-Dearne WwTW Galliford Try is installing a tertiary treatment system that is set to result in significant savings for Yorkshire Water Read More >
- Striking it out: How can the industry cut down utility strikes? Utility strikes are both costly and potentially fatal. With tens of thousands believed to occur in the UK every year, how... Read More >