Fresh water is a scarce and critical resource for people, the planet and businesses. Economic and social development comes with a resilient water supply and responsible waste strategy. Evides Industriewater creates solutions for businesses that seek to minimise waste of vital resources and energy, thereby creating the best solution for the environment too. Our customers in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and the UK are realising the benefits of our Water Without Waste philosophy.
Mr Colin Robinson
2 Hunting Gate
Resource Recovery from Wastewater
Evides Industriewater built a pilot where all aspects of resource recovery were integrated: water reuse, nutrient recovery and energy recovery. The pilot was originally located at a Rotterdam city farm (Uit Je Eigen Stad), but due to its closure later moved to the Delft Blue Innovations site in the Harnaschpolder near Delft. There, reclaimed water from a wastewater plant is used for valuable applications. For instance, energy is extracted from sludge from the electrocoagulation process and useful fertilizers like phosphorus and nitrate as well as other valuable raw materials including cellulose are recovered.
The project centres around 4 key steps:
- Wastewater is stored in a buffer tank, where sedimentation of coarse parts (including moist toilet paper) is accomplished. Experiments are being carried out into the enzymatic conversion of fine sieve screenings to carbon source, which can be used by the denitrifying bacteria in the wastewater treatment plant.
- The wastewater then goes to an electrocoagulation system in which iron or aluminum is brought into solution and will coagulate with the particles, the COD and the phosphate in the wastewater. For the processing of the electrocoagulation sludge, we want to investigate various routes, namely fermentation and pyrolysis.
- The wastewater treated by electrocoagulation then goes through a pre-filter for protection and then to the nanofiltration pilot system, which consists of two stages (first stage 2 membrane modules, second stage 1 membrane module). New phosphate recovery techniques will be tested on the nanofiltration concentrate, initially on a laboratory scale. The permeate of the nanofiltration pilot system passes through a softener, where calcium and magnesium are removed, prior to the reverse osmosis (RO) membrane. This membrane makes a very clean water product, the RO permeate, that will be delivered to several local initiatives.
- The concentrate of the reverse osmosis is used for an algae culture. Specifically, the demo focuses on a type of algae that produces a valuable blue pigment.
Products & Services
- Managed Borehole 01/11/2019 09:44:00We design, build, finance, operate and maintain all of the infrastructure needed to ensure a reliable, secure and consistent supply of groundwater. Our experience in water means that we can treat the water to any standard required and guarantee its quality. Why not also include energy recovery and wastewater treatment and reuse of water to complete a total water management system that is more reliable, cost effective, and environmentally sustainable.
- Industrial Wastewater Treatment Plant 01/11/2019 11:35:00We have 50+years of experience in Industrial Waste Water Treatment and have been providing process water for industry recovered from wastewater for 20 years. Evides Industriewater now supply 20 million cubic metres of reuse water to industry for use as demineralised and cooling water. Find out how our unique perspective on Design, Build, Own and Operate can reduce your business costs, improve environmental compliance and increase resilience.
- Waste Water Re-Use 24/06/2020 12:17:00After treatment, waste water is normally discharged to rivers or the sea. But with sustainability becoming more and more important in our society and the very real threat of a shortage of fresh water, there is a growing interest in the re-use of (waste) water and in closing the loop of the Circular Economy for Water. Evides Industriewater's pioneering research and development team have made this happen on a huge and commercially viable scale for our clients in the Netherlands.
- Demineralised Water 13/07/2020 22:05:00Industrial processes and energy production require the highest quality standard of demineralised water. If high quality, low conductivity, demin water is essential for your process then Evides Industriewater is one the World's most experienced and reliable partners, supplying over 2,500 cubic metres per hour at our combined plants.