Fresh water is a scarce and critical resource for people, the planet and businesses. Economic and social development comes with a resilient water supply and responsible waste strategy. Evides Industriewater creates solutions for businesses that seek to minimise waste of vital resources and energy, thereby creating the best solution for the environment too. Our customers in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and the UK are realising the benefits of our Water Without Waste philosophy.
Mr Colin Robinson
2 Hunting Gate
Municipal Wastewater Reuse for Industry
Our client at Dow Terneuzen is supplied with 5.4 million m3 of recovered water for process and steam generation. The water comes from reuse of municipal sewage at the city of Terneuzen. In addition, surface water and condensate are recovered and polished for use in the chemical plant with minimum waste water discharge to the environment thanks to reuse.
The Dow Chemical Company is one of the largest chemical manufacturers, operating in some 160 countries and employing over 50,000 people worldwide. The site in Terneuzen (the Netherlands) is its second largest production location in the world. It contains 17 facilities producing ethylene, propylene, butadiene, and benzene. All important components for the production of many types of plastic and chemicals.
In the mid-nineties, Dow Terneuzen invested heavily in enlarging the naphtha cracker capacity, requiring an expansion in energy production and cooling water facilities.
Operating in a freshwater-scarce coastal area, Dow sought a solution that could handle the increase in water demand, while reducing the energy and fresh water consumption required for the production of process water. The overall process water demand, used to generate steam and supply the manufacturing plants, was:
- Demin water : 750 m3/h ≤ 15 μS/cm
- Cooling water : 700 m3/h
- Polished demin water : 1,000 m3/h ≤ 0.4 μS/cm
Evides Industriewater has been able to close the loop by implementing an innovative total water management concept, that relies heavily on the re-use of available water sources.
- Under a long term DBFO contract, Evides Industriewater is:
financing the investment;
- Designing and building a state of the art total water management facility,
- Minimising the impact of Dow’s water use on the surrounding area based on:
- Treatment of brackish surface water
- Effluent re-use Dow’s WWTP:
- Max. 2.5 million m3/y
- Effluent re-use municipal WWTP (Terneuzen):
- Max. 5.4 million m3/y
- Condensate polishing;
- Handling day-to-day operation and maintenance
Products & Services
- Managed Borehole 01/11/2019 09:44:00We design, build, finance, operate and maintain all of the infrastructure needed to ensure a reliable, secure and consistent supply of groundwater. Our experience in water means that we can treat the water to any standard required and guarantee its quality. Why not also include energy recovery and wastewater treatment and reuse of water to complete a total water management system that is more reliable, cost effective, and environmentally sustainable.
- Industrial Wastewater Treatment Plant 01/11/2019 11:35:00We have 50+years of experience in Industrial Waste Water Treatment and have been providing process water for industry recovered from wastewater for 20 years. Evides Industriewater now supply 20 million cubic metres of reuse water to industry for use as demineralised and cooling water. Find out how our unique perspective on Design, Build, Own and Operate can reduce your business costs, improve environmental compliance and increase resilience.
- Waste Water Re-Use 24/06/2020 12:17:00After treatment, waste water is normally discharged to rivers or the sea. But with sustainability becoming more and more important in our society and the very real threat of a shortage of fresh water, there is a growing interest in the re-use of (waste) water and in closing the loop of the Circular Economy for Water. Evides Industriewater's pioneering research and development team have made this happen on a huge and commercially viable scale for our clients in the Netherlands.
- Demineralised Water 13/07/2020 22:05:00Industrial processes and energy production require the highest quality standard of demineralised water. If high quality, low conductivity, demin water is essential for your process then Evides Industriewater is one the World's most experienced and reliable partners, supplying over 2,500 cubic metres per hour at our combined plants.