Yorkshire Water invests £250K-plus to refurbish water tower
Reservoir and water tower refurbishment specialist Stonbury is to refurbish Yorkshire Water's water tower in Mappleton. The 24-week project is worth more than £250,000.
The tower, which can store 1.36 mega litres of water, was constructed in 1928 and received its last refurbishment about 35 years ago. The structure is now in need of some attention.
The chamber where the water is stored will be emptied, given a deep clean and a new lining installed. A new membrane will be applied to the roof and this, together with the new lining in the chamber will ensure the tower is weatherproof and watertight for another 30 years. A small number of external concrete repairs and internal access improvements will also be made.
Yorkshire Water project manager Dave Axe said: ”We hope this project will have little impact on the local community as most of these improvements will take place inside the tower. There will be little to see outside, apart from the external scaffolding needed to provide access for the men and materials.”
He added that there will be no impact on water supplies whilst the work is being carried out. “Water supplies will be maintained from Leven water pumping station.”
- Anglian Water picks four to deliver IOS and IMDS programmes Barhale, Clancy Docwra, Kier MG and Morrison Utility Services are the latest contractors appointed by Anglian Water to its... Read More >
- Replacement proposed as coastal erosion puts Withernsea WwTW at risk Yorkshire Water is proposing a new, larger wastewater treatment works further inland to replace its existing Withernsea... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water to plant 200,000 trees in flood protection effort Yorkshire Water has launched an ambitious and innovative pilot to reduce flooding in Calderdale which involves the... Read More >
- Water companies and BIM: realising the potential The utilities sector has lagged behind in implementing BIM, and has yet to fully realise its potential for maintenance as... Read More >
- Interview: Digital Danger Cyber attacks are becoming an increasing threat but, while the UK water industry could be vulnerable, Anglian Water... Read More >
- Senior asset leaders to come together ahead of PR19 The sixth annual WWT Water Industry Asset Management conference takes place on 10th May 2018 and will attract asset... Read More >
- Component pricing: a disposable dilemma When working out the whole-life cost of a pump or similar equipment, one variable is how often components need to be... Read More >
- Analytics and Asset Management The water companies that have been most effective in this AMP period are those that have combined asset management and... Read More >