Yorkshire Water hosts Ethiopian water utility delegates
WaterAid's Manaye Siyoum and Zelalem Assefra, from Debre Tabor Water Utility (DTWU) in Ethiopia, have visited Yorkshire Water to find out how the company supplies quality drinking water and treats wastewater.
For the past two weeks Manaye, head of WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) at WaterAid Ethiopia, and Zelalem, DTWU utility manager have travelled across Yorkshire visiting clean and wastewater treatment works, looking at small community treatment facilities, water boreholes and pumping stations whilst noting down information and processes that they can apply to operations back in Ethiopia as protecting the quality of groundwater borehole sources is a big issue.
Nearly half the population in Ethiopia, 42 million people, does not have access to safe water. Most people in the country make a living through farming however, without water they cannot grow the crops they need to feed and support their families.
Manaye and Zelalem also spent time at Yorkshire Water’s headquarters finding out how the company manages customer services, billing systems and the regulatory environment it operates within.
The visit is part of Yorkshire Water’s ‘Big Wish for Ethiopia’ campaign that brings together all its fundraising, volunteering, influencing, customer awareness and skills sharing activities for charity WaterAid. It is the first water company to undertake this approach and believes that this campaign will help to raise £1M and bring clean water to 130,000 people in Ethiopia over the next five years.
Summing up his experience Manaye said: "The visit to Yorkshire Water was wonderful. Yorkshire is different to the rest of the UK; everyone we met was friendly and hospitable, they were open to sharing their knowledge and committed to working with WaterAid to making a lasting difference to the people of Ethiopia. We have learned so much and will be looking at how we can develop this learning for utilities in Ethiopia.
“The partnership with Yorkshire Water exceeds our expectations, there is no limit to what we can accomplish together to realize our common vision of seeing everyone everywhere with water, sanitation and hygiene education.”
- £250M overhaul of Deephams STW gets green light Thames Water's £250M upgrade of Deephams sewage treatment works has been granted planning permission from Enfield Council.... Read More >
- Thames Water selects Chemviron to reactivate carbon Chemviron Carbon has won a ten-year contract with Thames Water to reactivate spent activated carbon used to treat drinking... Read More >
- River Dearne moves towards the fast lane Yorkshire Water, the EA, and other Ecologists, land managers and other stakeholders have been checking out the progress of... Read More >
- How much will your pump really cost you? When it comes to specifying pumping equipment, many companies under pressure to cut costs could actually be making... Read More >
- Protecting Your Pumps With pumps being among a water company's most critical assets, screens and automated trashrakes have a vital role to play... Read More >
- Project Focus: Pumps critical to River Clyde flood prevention scheme The installation of a new pumping station in North Renfrewshire has been central to a scheme to protect 300 homes and... Read More >
- Project Focus: Off-site construction for pump station replacement When a Severn Trent pumping station in Derbyshire needed replacement, off-site prefabrication was preferred to overcome... Read More >
- Case study: Pump efficiency takes flight at Heathrow With more than 100 wastewater pumping stations, Heathrow Airport was able to make significant energy and cost savings by... Read More >
- Market Operations delivery manager What are we looking for?• Innovative, challenging and dynamic leader and team player. • Experience of working in a utility network... Read more here.
- General Manager Asset Management Essential Energy Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia Salary: Competitive Essential Energy is one of Australia’s largest... Read more here.
- Energy Growth Strategy Analyst National Grid’s energy network transports electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives.... Read more here.