Yorkshire Water hosts Ethiopian water utility delegates
WaterAid's Manaye Siyoum and Zelalem Assefra, from Debre Tabor Water Utility (DTWU) in Ethiopia, have visited Yorkshire Water to find out how the company supplies quality drinking water and treats wastewater.
For the past two weeks Manaye, head of WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) at WaterAid Ethiopia, and Zelalem, DTWU utility manager have travelled across Yorkshire visiting clean and wastewater treatment works, looking at small community treatment facilities, water boreholes and pumping stations whilst noting down information and processes that they can apply to operations back in Ethiopia as protecting the quality of groundwater borehole sources is a big issue.
Nearly half the population in Ethiopia, 42 million people, does not have access to safe water. Most people in the country make a living through farming however, without water they cannot grow the crops they need to feed and support their families.
Manaye and Zelalem also spent time at Yorkshire Water’s headquarters finding out how the company manages customer services, billing systems and the regulatory environment it operates within.
The visit is part of Yorkshire Water’s ‘Big Wish for Ethiopia’ campaign that brings together all its fundraising, volunteering, influencing, customer awareness and skills sharing activities for charity WaterAid. It is the first water company to undertake this approach and believes that this campaign will help to raise £1M and bring clean water to 130,000 people in Ethiopia over the next five years.
Summing up his experience Manaye said: "The visit to Yorkshire Water was wonderful. Yorkshire is different to the rest of the UK; everyone we met was friendly and hospitable, they were open to sharing their knowledge and committed to working with WaterAid to making a lasting difference to the people of Ethiopia. We have learned so much and will be looking at how we can develop this learning for utilities in Ethiopia.
“The partnership with Yorkshire Water exceeds our expectations, there is no limit to what we can accomplish together to realize our common vision of seeing everyone everywhere with water, sanitation and hygiene education.”
- Severn Trent Services gains more Californian treatment contracts Severn Trent Services (STS) is taking over the operation of all municipal and private water and wastewater treatment... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water invests in £13.5M pipe cleaning project Yorkshire Water is undertaking a £13.5M pipe cleaning project to safeguard the taste and appearance of its tap water. Read More >
- Natural Capital Protocol offers ‘route map' for water regulation The first global Natural Capital Protocol, announced yesterday, provides a timely route map for the water sector's future... Read More >
- Archimedes screw pumps boost infrastructure in Mansfield Archimedes screw pumps may work on a centuries-old design but they are still the most efficient way of lifting water over... Read More >
- Comment: Brexit and the pump industry Exiting the European Community and dismantling our ties to EU Laws, via the Government's introduction of the Great Repeal... Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… dosing pumps Dosing pumps are mission critical appliances that must operate reliably and efficiently, as the success of processes such... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.