Yorkshire Water gains accurate mobile connection visibility
NetMotion Software, a leading provider of Mobile Performance Management (MPM) software solutions, is working with Yorkshire Water to provide the utility with speedier trouble-shooting and accurate connection visibility.
Yorkshire Water employs more than 2,000 field technicians tasked with nearly all aspects of water delivery and quality. “The ability to access job schedules, maps, pipe location data, telemetry feeds from pumping stations and more is essential for these technicians,” said Martin Day, technical lead at Yorkshire Water. “If we don’t have connectivity, we don’t have anything. It underpins everything we do.”
Chris Walters, UK & Ireland country manager at NetMotion Software, said: “After extensive investigation into the challenges that Yorkshire Water were experiencing, we wanted to provide a solution that would allow for greater visibility into users, connections, application and devices. Our aim was to improve every aspect of connectivity with their mobile workforce.”
Yorkshire Water opted to trial NetMotion’s Mobile Performance Management (MPM) software that the business eventually adopted after extensive testing. Darren Metcalfe, infrastructure clients manager at Yorkshire Water, said: “The diagnostics tools are particularly strong. It gives us a coverage map by device, by 2G/3G/4G and a view of connectivity across the whole service area that’s user-generated by our guys in the field. That gives us the opportunity to go to our service provider to say look, you don’t provide the connectivity in this area, is there something you can do? Or if we get a call from an individual saying there’s no coverage, we say I know exactly where you are, if you drive 100 feet further down this road you’ll have coverage.”
NetMotion’s solution allows Yorkshire Water to have direct conversations with its service provider regarding coverage black spots or for the Support team to provide technicians with accurate, real-time coverage data. Strong diagnostics allows the Support team to quickly identify problems. This provides the field guys with swift resolution to any issues they are having coupled with less downtime and improved efficiencies.
The adoption of NetMotion MPM software by Yorkshire Water has led to a number of significant benefits including, single sign-on, military grade encryption, enhanced security, wider Wi-Fi support and device authentication amongst others.
- Thames awards Siemens meter data software deal Thames Water has agreed a contract with Siemens for an industry-specific software package to store and manage readings... Read More >
- Risk averse culture holding back digitalisation, finds survey A risk averse culture within the UK infrastructure sector is restricting the ability of its business to capitalise on the... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water urges farmers to help prevent slug pellet contamination Yorkshire Water has become the latest company to target farmers in a bid to prevent pesticide metaldehye from entering... Read More >
- Problem solving upfront: embracing digital technology Scottish Water is the latest water utility to make advances in digital engineering through the use of BIM technology,... Read More >
- Managing infrastructure presents a growing digital challenge Mark Kaney, director of asset management at Sweco UK, calls for the water industry to support a deeper commitment to data... Read More >
- Comment: The future of asset planning in a data-driven world United Utilities' use of modelling software to analyse and predict deterioration in its sewer network is an example of the... Read More >
- Operational Records Key for WWTPs' Long-Term Goals Good data on the performance of treatment plants is important not only for meeting quality standards in the present, but in... Read More >
- Comment: Shining a light on dark data Water companies already have the data to solve many of their most problematic issues - they just have to know where to... Read More >