Yorkshire Water completes £2.6M upgrade of Hull pumping station
Yorkshire Water has completed a £2.6 million upgrade of its Springhead water pumping station in Willerby near Hull.
The pumping station is a Grade 2 listed building which dates back to 1864. Over the years, the building has been the subject of numerous thefts and acts of vandalism including the removal of the slate roof tiles.
Yorkshire Water employed building renovation specialists William Birch and Sons to carry out the refurbishment work whilst complying with its Grade 2 listed status.
The overhaul, which started last September, included replacement of the roof structure and sheeting, and the rainwater guttering and fall pipes. A new slate roof has also been installed.
The internal walls have been stripped back to the bare brickwork, the masonry has been re-pointed and brickwork has been replaced. New security doors and window screens have also been installed.
The final construction which involved access road improvements was completed last month.
Yorkshire Water project manager Michael Smith said; “We’re very pleased with the results and this impressive building is now water tight, protected from the elements and secure for the next 20 years.”
Springhead pumps water from the boreholes onsite to Keldgate water treatment works for treatment, Keldgate then supplies residents of Hull and East Riding with drinking water.
Springhead pumping station produces 25 million litres of water every day – a third of Hull and East Riding’s daily water supply.
-This article first appeared on Utility Week.
- ECS wins EA's Peakirk Pumping Station redevelopment deal ECS Engineering Services has won a contract to redevelop and refurbish the Environment Agency's (EA) Peakirk Pumping... Read More >
- Amey wins £113M wastewater R + M deal at Yorkshire Water Services provider Amey has been selected to carry out Yorkshire Water's wastewater network repair and maintenance work.... Read More >
- Mott MacDonald wins £31M expansion WwTW project in New Zealand Mott MacDonald is to design the NZ$63 million (£31M) expansion of Rosedale wastewater treatment plant in Auckland, New... Read More >
- Peristaltic pumps prove the right dose for Welsh Water Switching from diaphragm to peristaltic pumps for chemical dosing helped Dwr Cymru Welsh Water save Opex costs while... Read More >
- In Depth: AODD pumps Air Operated Double Diaphragm (AODD) pumps are an interesting seal-less, displacement alternative to centrifugal pumps.... Read More >
- Overpumping solution helps Anglian sludge management When routine maintenance was required on business-critical sludge assets at Anglian Water's Caister WRC, a temporary... Read More >
- Interview: Steve Schofield, Chief Executive, BPMA Never mind Brexit - the UK government needs to step up in its enforcement of current directives, says Steve Schofield,... Read More >
- CPD Article: Optimal pump sumps for wastewater In this CPD article, we look at how pumping stations can be best designed to deal efficiently with solids and sediment in... Read More >
- Divisional Operations Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.
- Project Manager (Electrical & Instrumentation) SGN operates over 74,000km of gas mains and services in Scotland and the south of England. Whoever your supplier is, we have a responsibility... Read more here.