Yorkshire Water completes £2.6M upgrade of Hull pumping station
Yorkshire Water has completed a £2.6 million upgrade of its Springhead water pumping station in Willerby near Hull.
The pumping station is a Grade 2 listed building which dates back to 1864. Over the years, the building has been the subject of numerous thefts and acts of vandalism including the removal of the slate roof tiles.
Yorkshire Water employed building renovation specialists William Birch and Sons to carry out the refurbishment work whilst complying with its Grade 2 listed status.
The overhaul, which started last September, included replacement of the roof structure and sheeting, and the rainwater guttering and fall pipes. A new slate roof has also been installed.
The internal walls have been stripped back to the bare brickwork, the masonry has been re-pointed and brickwork has been replaced. New security doors and window screens have also been installed.
The final construction which involved access road improvements was completed last month.
Yorkshire Water project manager Michael Smith said; “We’re very pleased with the results and this impressive building is now water tight, protected from the elements and secure for the next 20 years.”
Springhead pumps water from the boreholes onsite to Keldgate water treatment works for treatment, Keldgate then supplies residents of Hull and East Riding with drinking water.
Springhead pumping station produces 25 million litres of water every day – a third of Hull and East Riding’s daily water supply.
-This article first appeared on Utility Week.
- NI Water upgrades Bangor sewerage infrastructure NI Water is to start work on a £3.1M programme of improvement work to upgrade the sewerage infrastructure and key pumping... Read More >
- Sutton and East Surrey Water's £14m water main shortlisted for award Sutton and East Surrey Water has been shortlisted for an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), award for the construction... Read More >
- NI Water's Castor Bay to Belfast Water Pipeline is underway Pipelaying on NI Water's £14M Castor Bay to Belfast Water Pipeline is well underway. The start of the project was marked... Read More >
- Archimedes screw pumps boost infrastructure in Mansfield Archimedes screw pumps may work on a centuries-old design but they are still the most efficient way of lifting water over... Read More >
- Comment: Brexit and the pump industry Exiting the European Community and dismantling our ties to EU Laws, via the Government's introduction of the Great Repeal... Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… dosing pumps Dosing pumps are mission critical appliances that must operate reliably and efficiently, as the success of processes such... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.