Yorkshire Water completes £2.6M upgrade of Hull pumping station
Yorkshire Water has completed a £2.6 million upgrade of its Springhead water pumping station in Willerby near Hull.
The pumping station is a Grade 2 listed building which dates back to 1864. Over the years, the building has been the subject of numerous thefts and acts of vandalism including the removal of the slate roof tiles.
Yorkshire Water employed building renovation specialists William Birch and Sons to carry out the refurbishment work whilst complying with its Grade 2 listed status.
The overhaul, which started last September, included replacement of the roof structure and sheeting, and the rainwater guttering and fall pipes. A new slate roof has also been installed.
The internal walls have been stripped back to the bare brickwork, the masonry has been re-pointed and brickwork has been replaced. New security doors and window screens have also been installed.
The final construction which involved access road improvements was completed last month.
Yorkshire Water project manager Michael Smith said; “We’re very pleased with the results and this impressive building is now water tight, protected from the elements and secure for the next 20 years.”
Springhead pumps water from the boreholes onsite to Keldgate water treatment works for treatment, Keldgate then supplies residents of Hull and East Riding with drinking water.
Springhead pumping station produces 25 million litres of water every day – a third of Hull and East Riding’s daily water supply.
-This article first appeared on Utility Week.
- DrainsAid works with Amey to re-line Yorkshire Water sewers DrainsAid, the specialist drainage and sewer rehabilitation division of Peter Duffy Ltd, has partnered with major... Read More >
- Natural Capital Protocol offers ‘route map' for water regulation The first global Natural Capital Protocol, announced yesterday, provides a timely route map for the water sector's future... Read More >
- Replacement proposed as coastal erosion puts Withernsea WwTW at risk Yorkshire Water is proposing a new, larger wastewater treatment works further inland to replace its existing Withernsea... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Peristaltic pumps prove the right dose for Welsh Water Switching from diaphragm to peristaltic pumps for chemical dosing helped Dwr Cymru Welsh Water save Opex costs while... Read More >
- In Depth: AODD pumps Air Operated Double Diaphragm (AODD) pumps are an interesting seal-less, displacement alternative to centrifugal pumps.... Read More >
- Overpumping solution helps Anglian sludge management When routine maintenance was required on business-critical sludge assets at Anglian Water's Caister WRC, a temporary... Read More >
- Interview: Steve Schofield, Chief Executive, BPMA Never mind Brexit - the UK government needs to step up in its enforcement of current directives, says Steve Schofield,... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Starting salary: Grade SF £30,767 - £41,226 Job description: Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Taunton Location: Taunton Starting salary: Dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance and call out Package: 45... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Yeovil Location: Yeovil Starting salary: 26,520 - 28,560 salary dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance and call... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Cossington Location: Cossington Starting salary: £26,520 - £28,560 salary dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance... Read more here.