Yorkshire Water awards aerial mapping deal
Yorkshire Water is using the latest high-resolution aerial photography to help manage its water network and assets over nearly 15,000km2, having signed a new three-year contract with aerial mapping company Bluesky.
Covering the whole of the Yorkshire Water operating area, the latest delivery of high resolution imagery will be used across the water supply and treatment company. The Bluesky aerial photography is accessible, using Yorkshire Water’s intranet and desktop geographical information system (GIS), to around 3,000 individual users. Primary uses include Asset Data Mapping, Land Management, Grounds Maintenance, Control Room Operations and Conveyancing.
The Bluesky aerial map data sits alongside MasterMap data from Ordnance Survey, as well as Yorkshire Water’s own customised map layers. A primary application of the imagery is maintenance of the company’s underground asset network mapping. With hundreds of changes and additions received from partners and field teams every week, the aerial photography provides additional real world details – including pavement positions, building corners and even manhole covers – that are not available from other sources.
“The Bluesky aerial photography is especially useful when digitising the underground network,” said Heidi Weston-Beyer, asset data mapping team leader at Yorkshire Water. “The detail within the imagery allows us to accurately identify and position changes and additions with data that is compatible with our own data layers and third-party products. In addition, Bluesky’s planned update programme and proposed image resolution suits the exacting needs of our business, as well as our budget, providing us with very up to date imagery in a suitable format and at the right price.”
Yorkshire Water is also benefiting from Bluesky LiDAR data. Commissioned by Mott MacDonald Bentley (MMB), the 4 points per metre (ppm) data is being used to create accurate models of the terrain and ground features in relation to the underground sewer network. These models will help MMB and Yorkshire Water assess predicted flooding, understand the potential impact of flooding and replicate reported flood events in order to develop holistic solutions.
- EA's £300M Thames estuary flood defence deal goes to CH2M Hill The £300M contract for the Thames Estuary Asset Management Programme has been awarded to CH2M Hill by the Environment... Read More >
- Hitachi to deliver near real-time analytics for SWW Hitachi Consulting, a leading provider of IoT analytics solutions, technology consulting and managed services, has... Read More >
- Safety project starts on Yorkshire Water's Stubden reservoir Yorkshire Water is investing £1.5M on an essential safety project at Stubden reservoir, located off Long Causeway in... Read More >
- Grit removal: the importance of protecting downstream equipment The water industry needs to wake up to the costly damage that wastewater grit can cause and take action to ensure that key... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.