Yorkshire Water action plan to tackle drainage problems at Steeton Ings
Yorkshire Water has drawn up a strategy to tackle drainage problems in the Aire Valley, in area known as Steeton Ings, following major sewage floods.
The new Keighley Low Level Drainage Area Plan is the work of Yorkshire Water in collaboration with councillors and public bodies. The groups came together in 2011, following a severe escape of sewage, to form the Aire Valley Sewerage Group. The 2011 sewage flooding centred on the Aire Valley Trunk Sewer, a concrete pipe that runs through fields.
Steeton-with-Eastburn Parish Council chairman David Mullen said that the Sewerage Group, which also includes the Environment Agency (EA) and the Aire Rivers Trust, has held several productive meetings.
A Yorkshire Water spokesman said: “The severe flooding was the result of the blockage of the pipe at Steeton with a large amount of fat and silt. A significant amount of debris has been removed from the pipe.”
- Scottish Water gets blockage message across on council bin rounds Scottish Water and Perth and Kinross Council have joined forces to try and help prevent sewer blockages across the region. Read More >
- Tideway manoeuvres crane into position by barge Tideway has started the major work to clean up London's River Thames with two boats pushing a barge supporting a crane... Read More >
- Tideway Tunnel an 'attractive investment prospect' - government The government has flagged up the Thames Tunnel Tideway project as being open to foreign investment. The scheme is among... Read More >
- Comment: Ease off the pressure to keep leaks in check Keeping leaks in check is a major challenge for water companies but one that can be met with variable speed drives to... Read More >
- Woolmans Wood: Driving down disruption Southern Water and Clancy Docwra discuss the challenges of keeping disruption to a minimum on a 30km mains replacement... Read More >
- Water theft: Laying down the law Whether it is unauthorised connections or the illegal use of standpipes, water companies are increasingly clamping down on... Read More >
- Opinion: Action needed on product specifications and skills BPF Pipes Group president Derek Muckle calls for a basic engineering and procurement skillset to set the standard for what... Read More >
- Innovative survey technology helps CWA pipeline project A £10M project that saw CWA add a duplication main in North Lanarkshire involved the use of PureTech's PipeDiver... Read More >