Yorkshire Water action plan to tackle drainage problems at Steeton Ings
Yorkshire Water has drawn up a strategy to tackle drainage problems in the Aire Valley, in area known as Steeton Ings, following major sewage floods.
The new Keighley Low Level Drainage Area Plan is the work of Yorkshire Water in collaboration with councillors and public bodies. The groups came together in 2011, following a severe escape of sewage, to form the Aire Valley Sewerage Group. The 2011 sewage flooding centred on the Aire Valley Trunk Sewer, a concrete pipe that runs through fields.
Steeton-with-Eastburn Parish Council chairman David Mullen said that the Sewerage Group, which also includes the Environment Agency (EA) and the Aire Rivers Trust, has held several productive meetings.
A Yorkshire Water spokesman said: “The severe flooding was the result of the blockage of the pipe at Steeton with a large amount of fat and silt. A significant amount of debris has been removed from the pipe.”
- Lanes snaps up Irish group Arlo Lanes Group has acquired Irish group Arlo, owner of drainage, industrial and waste management services provider AQS... Read More >
- Poultry firm fined for pouring FOG into sewers Poultry processing company Makentie has been fined by Warrington Magistrates for pouring away fats, oils and greases (FOG)... Read More >
- Autoclaving to pre-treat sewage creates more methane Pre-treating sewage sludge in an autoclave can generate 47% more methane, new research by Dr Zhengjian Wang and Dr Nigel... Read More >
- Clear and consistent guidance for drainage design New guidance for the design of drains and sewers should provide the opportunity for installers to meet consistent... Read More >
- The Rights and Wrongs of Misconnections Appliances which have been incorrectly connected to surface drains rather than sewers are a significant cause of... Read More >
- Below ground plastic pipes: Strength through flexibility? Below-ground plastic pipes are known to be flexible under loads, but this can be an advantage rather than a drawback when... Read More >
- Drilling and Tapping: The Mains Man Jason Barratt's skill in drilling and tapping water mains has led to him competing around the world as well as advancing... Read More >
- Pipeline logistics - no need for unwelcome surprises In the Totex-conscious environment of AMP6, collaboration and a meticulous approach to logistics is required across the... Read More >