Yorkshire Water action plan to tackle drainage problems at Steeton Ings
Yorkshire Water has drawn up a strategy to tackle drainage problems in the Aire Valley, in area known as Steeton Ings, following major sewage floods.
The new Keighley Low Level Drainage Area Plan is the work of Yorkshire Water in collaboration with councillors and public bodies. The groups came together in 2011, following a severe escape of sewage, to form the Aire Valley Sewerage Group. The 2011 sewage flooding centred on the Aire Valley Trunk Sewer, a concrete pipe that runs through fields.
Steeton-with-Eastburn Parish Council chairman David Mullen said that the Sewerage Group, which also includes the Environment Agency (EA) and the Aire Rivers Trust, has held several productive meetings.
A Yorkshire Water spokesman said: “The severe flooding was the result of the blockage of the pipe at Steeton with a large amount of fat and silt. A significant amount of debris has been removed from the pipe.”
- Welsh Water disappointed over Kinmel Bay sewage spillage prosecution Dwr Cymru Welsh Water is 'disappointed' at having been prosecuted for sewage spillage discharges from bursts in a pipeline... Read More >
- North-east drain blockages cut by a fifth Northumbrian Water's Love Your Drain campaign has helped reduce the number of blocked drains by nearly a fifth across the... Read More >
- Utility companies commit to permanent flood defences for key assets Utility companies have made a commitment to increase flood protection of their key local infrastructure assets so they are... Read More >
- Innovative survey technology helps CWA pipeline project A £10M project that saw CWA add a duplication main in North Lanarkshire involved the use of PureTech's PipeDiver... Read More >
- Drilling and Tapping: Pipe Dreams The Institute of Water's UK Drilling and Tapping Competition returns for its 30th year at Utility Week Live in May Read More >
- Clear and consistent guidance for drainage design New guidance for the design of drains and sewers should provide the opportunity for installers to meet consistent... Read More >
- The Rights and Wrongs of Misconnections Appliances which have been incorrectly connected to surface drains rather than sewers are a significant cause of... Read More >
- Below ground plastic pipes: Strength through flexibility? Below-ground plastic pipes are known to be flexible under loads, but this can be an advantage rather than a drawback when... Read More >