Yorkshire Water action plan to tackle drainage problems at Steeton Ings
Yorkshire Water has drawn up a strategy to tackle drainage problems in the Aire Valley, in area known as Steeton Ings, following major sewage floods.
The new Keighley Low Level Drainage Area Plan is the work of Yorkshire Water in collaboration with councillors and public bodies. The groups came together in 2011, following a severe escape of sewage, to form the Aire Valley Sewerage Group. The 2011 sewage flooding centred on the Aire Valley Trunk Sewer, a concrete pipe that runs through fields.
Steeton-with-Eastburn Parish Council chairman David Mullen said that the Sewerage Group, which also includes the Environment Agency (EA) and the Aire Rivers Trust, has held several productive meetings.
A Yorkshire Water spokesman said: “The severe flooding was the result of the blockage of the pipe at Steeton with a large amount of fat and silt. A significant amount of debris has been removed from the pipe.”
- Thames Water to tackle fatberg in Oxford Thames Water is preparing to tackle another fatberg, this time in Hollybush Row, Oxford. The fatberg, a congealed mass of... Read More >
- Divers assess Manx sewage leak The Manx Utilities Authority (MUA) has announced that a team of specialist divers will on Monday (September 14)... Read More >
- Civil engineering activity peaks in February UK civil engineering activity reached its highest level since 1997 in February, according to Markit. Torrential rain and... Read More >
- Pipeline logistics - no need for unwelcome surprises In the Totex-conscious environment of AMP6, collaboration and a meticulous approach to logistics is required across the... Read More >
- Comment: Pipe research will help industry look again at plastics A new campaign with associated research aims to dispel common myths in the industry around the performance and durability... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Project Focus: Going with the flow in the Elan Valley The first of three tunnel diversions has recently been completed as part of the £300M Severn Trent project to renovate the... Read More >
- National pride of top tappers Drilling and Tapping teams from America and the Netherlands are gearing up to take part in the World Water Cup in... Read More >