Welsh Water invests £6M in North Wales water network
Work is now underway on Dwr Cymru Welsh Water's £6M investment programme for its water network across North Wales.
With some parts of the network nearing the end of its operational life, the investment will see more than 50km of water mains in North Wales cleaned, re-lined or replaced over the next four years. Some of the first areas to receive investments include the industrial estate in Mold where £330,000-plus will be spent on upgrading the water network, while more than £520,000 will be invested in the drinking water network in Sandycroft.
One of the biggest investments in the programme will see more than £1.8M spent in the Englefield Avenue area of Connah’s Quay where 4km-plus of pipe will be replaced.
The investment is part of a wider nationwide investment of £30M a year in the network by Welsh Water.
David Taylor, head of water assets at Welsh Water, said: “Between 2015 and 2020 Welsh Water will be investing £1.7bn on our water and wastewater network to make sure we deliver the best service possible for our customers. As part of this investment £30M will be spent on the drinking water network as we continue to work to improve the supply and quality of our drinking water for customers across Wales and parts of Hereford ensuring they continue to receive clean and fresh water.
“With some parts of the water network laid over a century ago, the time has come for us to refresh some areas of the network by cleaning the pipes or where needed replacing whole sections of the network. We understand that a large refurbishment programme like this can cause disruption in the short-term, but the long term benefits include reduced leaks, interruptions to supply and high quality drinking water for the whole community.”
Other areas to receive improvements to their water network this year include, Hawarden, Queensferry, Flint, Bagillt, Buckley, Trelogan and Llanarmon yn Iâl. Next year will see improvements carried out in Anglesey, Abergele and Rhyl.
- Scottish Water finishes Cumnock upgrade Scottish Water has completed a £6M project to upgrade more than 60 miles of water mains as part of an ongoing... Read More >
- Asset supplies Weholite for new market town's sewerage system Asset International has provided vital sewerage system components to the developers of Sherford, an ambitious modern... Read More >
- PSS Hire gets five-year contract extension at Scottish Water UK utilities and pipeline equipment rental company PSS Hire has secured a five-year extension to its supply agreement with... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.