Wastewater treatment process blamed for 'inky' water at Niagara Falls
A routine and necessary change in a nearby wastewater treatment works process has been blamed for the presence of "inky smelly, black water" at the base of the Niagara Falls last Saturday (July 29) on the US-Canadian border.
Apologising for causing “alarm to residents, tourists and others”, the Niagara Falls Water Board (NFWB) said the substance discharged was a result of routine maintenance at one of its wastewater sedimentation basins located at the Wastewater Treatment Plant on Buffalo Avenue.
The company said the blackish water contained some accumulated solids and residue from black carbon filters, used to clean the water, within permitted limits and did not include any organic type oils or solvents. The unfortunate odour would be limited to the normal sewer water discharge smell.
NFWB stressed it remains committed to the highest quality of wastewater treatment and the treatment and distribution of drinking water consistent with public health laws and regulations, the public enjoyment of natural resources, the protection of fish and wildlife and the economic development of the city of Niagara Falls, New York.
The NFWB is continuing its comprehensive internal review of this incident, including fact finding and legal review of applicable statutory and regulatory requirements for the operation of its plant.
It will also work with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and other regulatory agencies to address any technical or operational issues uncovered in its investigation in order to prevent re-occurrence of the conditions of concern. This will include continuing investment to maintain and upgrade its wastewater treatment plant, originally constructed by the City of Niagara Falls in the early 1970s; review of plant processes and operating procedures; and continuing investment in personnel and training
- EC urges UK to take action on water-related issues The UK has come under fire on several water-related issues from the European Commission (EC), which has written to the... Read More >
- 3M's Scotchkote wins Water Dragons 2013 The Scotchkote Manhole Repair System by 3M, which uses a rapid curing epoxy resin originally developed for repairing... Read More >
- VINCI selected for 30-year dam automation project VINCI Concessions and SHEMA subsidiary BAMEO has signed a 30-year partnership contract with Voies Navigables de France... Read More >
- Grit removal: the importance of protecting downstream equipment The water industry needs to wake up to the costly damage that wastewater grit can cause and take action to ensure that key... Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- SMART-Plant points way to circular economy European wastewater experts have worked together to open seven pilot plants which demonstrate technologies which could... Read More >
- Odour control: Going Undercover Thames Water is using a combination of covers, air filtering technology and monitoring in order to ensure it meets... Read More >
- Biological odour control in wastewater treatment plants When odour issues threaten to impact on the operations and reputation of wastewater utilities, bacterial treatments can hold... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.