UU reveals £70M Morecambe wastewater plans
United Utilities is to start work shortly on a major upgrade to its wastewater treatment works in Morecambe which is aimed at further improving the area's coastal waters and beaches.
Work starts this spring on the £70 million project which will take four years to complete. The water company plans to build two large storm water storage tanks and new pumps at its Schola Green Pumping Station, upgrade Morecambe Wastewater Treatment Works at Middleton and lay a new 7km sewer pipe between the two sites.
Richard Townsend, from United Utilities, explained: “As a contributor to the quality of Morecambe’s bathing waters, we need to make some improvements to our wastewater treatment to reduce how often storm water spills from the sewers and help ensure that the coastal waters at Morecambe Bay comply with new European Union bathing water standards.”
The new sewer pipe will run from Schola Green Pumping Station, underneath the railway line, around Morecambe FC ground, along Westcliffe Drive, across the Heysham Bypass (A683) and Middleton Road before entering Morecambe Treatment Works.
Most of the construction work required to install the pipe will be on private land, although there will be some work in the highway around Westgate, Westcliffe Drive and Oxcliffe Road.
At Morecambe Wastewater Treatment Works, United Utilities is upgrading the existing treatment process so that it uses the latest technologies and ensures the effluent leaving the works meets Environment Agency standards.
Residents in Morecambe were invited to a public exhibition in January to speak to members of the project team and view plans of the project.
United Utilities is a partner of LOVEmyBEACH, a campaign which brings together various groups, including the Environment Agency, National Farmers Union, Marine Conservation Society, British Destinations, Keep Britain Tidy and local authorities, to keep the North West’s bathing waters clean.
- Southern Water plans FOG removal process plant at Woolston Southern Water is planning to build a Fat, Oil and Grease (FOG) and Grit Removal process plant at its Woolston Wastewater... Read More >
- NI Water misinterprets alarm 'fault' Misinterpreting storm chamber alarms during a sewage spillage has landed Northern Ireland Water with a £500 fine plus £15... Read More >
- Concrete pipes installed in Pennington Pumping Station scheme More than 200m of large diameter precast concrete pipes have been installed as part of the refurbishment of Pennington... Read More >
- Archimedes screw pumps boost infrastructure in Mansfield Archimedes screw pumps may work on a centuries-old design but they are still the most efficient way of lifting water over... Read More >
- Comment: Brexit and the pump industry Exiting the European Community and dismantling our ties to EU Laws, via the Government's introduction of the Great Repeal... Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… dosing pumps Dosing pumps are mission critical appliances that must operate reliably and efficiently, as the success of processes such... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.