UU lifts boil water notice
United Utilities has lifted the boil water notice that had been in place for thousands of properties in areas of Tameside and Saddleworth since Sunday (December 11).
The notice was issued as a precaution following a technical fault on equipment at Buckton Castle water treatment works. Although the fault was rectified some water that had not been treated to the usual high standards had entered the local pipe network.
UU said it will pay £20 in compensation to those customers affected by the situation. Around 17,000 properties were affected covering the areas of Stalybridge, Dukinfield, Hyde, Saddleworth, Greenfield and Ashton-Under-Lyne.
- Edinburgh aqueduct £2.6M upgrade completed A major upgrade of parts of the 45km-long aqueduct used to supply most of Edinburgh's drinking water has been completed.... Read More >
- Arcadis counterbids Nippon Koei for Hyder Consulting Dutch engineering consultant Arcadis looks likely to acquire Hyder Consulting after trouncing Japanese rival bidder Nippon... Read More >
- SWW installs GACs at Wendron and Restormel WTWs South West Water (SWW) has invested £14.5M to upgrade its Wendron and Restormel water treatment works, which serve three... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… highway pollution Pollution from urban highways, trunk roads and motorways poses significant risks to the environment from toxic metals and... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Data: Predictive analysis pays off for Welsh Water Data scientists at Welsh Water built an analysis tool that can predict when service reservoirs are at risk of bacterial... Read More >