UU lifts boil water notice
United Utilities has lifted the boil water notice that had been in place for thousands of properties in areas of Tameside and Saddleworth since Sunday (December 11).
The notice was issued as a precaution following a technical fault on equipment at Buckton Castle water treatment works. Although the fault was rectified some water that had not been treated to the usual high standards had entered the local pipe network.
UU said it will pay £20 in compensation to those customers affected by the situation. Around 17,000 properties were affected covering the areas of Stalybridge, Dukinfield, Hyde, Saddleworth, Greenfield and Ashton-Under-Lyne.
- EPS awarded Welsh MEICA contract Irish support services group EPS has been appointed to one of Dwr Cymru Welsh Water's (DCWW) largest MEICA (mechanical,... Read More >
- Pollution events caused by WASCs on the rise The number of pollution events caused by water and sewerage companies (WASCs) in England have risen for the first time... Read More >
- Envirogens increases UK industrial treatment presence Envirogen Water Technologies has increased its presence in the UK industrial water treatment and filtration market having... Read More >
- Paper power provides water quality test Experts at the University of Bath have created a screen-printed paper biosensor which can provide a simple, cheap test for... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… highway pollution Pollution from urban highways, trunk roads and motorways poses significant risks to the environment from toxic metals and... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >