UU hits out at One Direction star for wasting water
United Utilities (UU) has criticised One Direction star Harry Styles for keeping the tap running while he brushes his teeth during a video clip. The company said Styles sets a bad example, wasting more than six litres a minute in a clip that has had more than 1.3 million views.
A UU spokesman said: "This video shows water heading in One Direction: down the plug hole. But a running tap wastes more than six litres of water a minute.
"If all Harry’s fans remember to switch the tap off every time they brush millions of litres of water would be saved every day. We’re sure Harry simply forgot on this occasion – but we’d be more than happy to send him and the rest of the band one of our free water saving packs, to help them do their bit."
- Ofwat consults on Bristol Water's new connections commitments Ofwat has gone out to consultation over its intention 'to accept binding commitments" from Bristol Water under the... Read More >
- Southern Water ramps up in-house engineering team Southern Water has reported good progress on developing its new in-house engineering team, which starts work this month on... Read More >
- WICS outlines the way forward for Scottish Water Encouraging and rewarding innovation is one of three "essential elements" that the Water Industry Commission for... Read More >
- Using hidden climate signals for water resource management Making use of research into long-term weather patterns could help water utilities predict their water resource needs for... Read More >
- Thinking outside the box on alternative water Water companies' response to a short-term supply disruption is often to distribute bottled water, but Thames Water is now... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Comment: Preparing for extreme weather events The challenge of climate change resilience means that the conventional deterministic approach to drought planning is no... Read More >
- Interview: Jean Spencer, Anglian Water director, on drought resilience In this WWT profile interview Jean Spencer, Director of Strategic Growth and Resilience at Anglian Water, talks about the... Read More >