UU hits out at One Direction star for wasting water
United Utilities (UU) has criticised One Direction star Harry Styles for keeping the tap running while he brushes his teeth during a video clip. The company said Styles sets a bad example, wasting more than six litres a minute in a clip that has had more than 1.3 million views.
A UU spokesman said: "This video shows water heading in One Direction: down the plug hole. But a running tap wastes more than six litres of water a minute.
"If all Harry’s fans remember to switch the tap off every time they brush millions of litres of water would be saved every day. We’re sure Harry simply forgot on this occasion – but we’d be more than happy to send him and the rest of the band one of our free water saving packs, to help them do their bit."
- Balfour Beatty takes further action in UK construction business Further overhead reductions and additional supply chain savings are among the actions being taken in Balfour Beatty's UK... Read More >
- Pennine Water Group set for research growth The Pennine Water Group (PWG) is set to grow in research output and collaboration now that it is exclusively based at the... Read More >
- Ofwat consults on Bristol Water's new connections commitments Ofwat has gone out to consultation over its intention 'to accept binding commitments" from Bristol Water under the... Read More >
- Thinking outside the box on alternative water Water companies' response to a short-term supply disruption is often to distribute bottled water, but Thames Water is now... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Comment: Preparing for extreme weather events The challenge of climate change resilience means that the conventional deterministic approach to drought planning is no... Read More >
- Interview: Jean Spencer, Anglian Water director, on drought resilience In this WWT profile interview Jean Spencer, Director of Strategic Growth and Resilience at Anglian Water, talks about the... Read More >
- The universal challenge of water Water utilities across the world face many similar challenges despite their varying locations and economic conditions,... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Waste Water Network Manager c. £42,000 depending on skills and experience An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Wastewater Network Manager within the Asset... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.