University partners with Southern for rural sewage research
The University of Portsmouth is set to embark on a collaborative partnership with Southern Water to tackle some of the challenges faced by small, rural sewage works.
The three-year project will assess phosphorus removal technologies, which can be problematic for smaller sewage works due to stringent rules and high costs.
Project leader Dr John Williams, from the School of Civil Engineering and Surveying, said: “Small works are subject to the same environmental standards as large sewage works, however the technologies used at large works are inappropriate as they require intensive control and a level of operator involvement which is not feasible at remote locations.
“The first challenge is to address phosphorus removal technologies, this will be followed by studies of optimisation of existing assets and then evaluation of emerging technologies.”
This collaboration is based around the University Environmental Technology Field Station at Petersfield Wastewater Treatment Works. Portsmouth is the only university in the UK to have a research field station at a full scale operational sewage works.
The facility is used by students and researchers to study wastewater treatment, sustainable drainage and contaminated sediments. It was recently upgraded with significant investment from the Faculty of Technology.
Dr Williams continued: “The facilities at Petersfield allow us to conduct full scale evaluation of sewage treatment systems and the laboratories allow for real sewage to be tested on site. This is an important capability for developing research and innovation projects with industrial collaborators like Southern Water.”
The project will employ two dedicated staff and a PhD student for three years from May 2017 and involves an investment from Southern Water of over £560,000.
Elin Williamson, Innovation Strategy Lead at Southern Water, said: “The Innovation Hub at Petersfield Wastewater Treatment Works is a new collaboration which we’re particularly excited about.
“We’re looking forward to working with John and the team at Petersfield to tackle some of our small rural site challenges by looking at new technologies and approaches.”
- Southern Water pilots new scheme to tackle FOG Southern Water is to visit some of the 28,000 food outlets and restaurants across Sussex, Kent, Hampshire and the Isle of... Read More >
- Southern Water adopts cloud-based IT system for sewer monitoring data Southern Water has adopted a new system for storing its pipeline condition survey data on the cloud, where it can be... Read More >
- Isle Utilities joins forces with merchant bank Turquoise International, the specialist energy and environment merchant bank, has teamed up with cleantech innovation... Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Innovation: The New Rock and Roll? In this feature interview we talk to Nigel Watson, Group Information Services Director at Northumbrian Water, about the... Read More >
- Comment: Networks make the world go round Real-time, 'smart' water networks have been discussed for a decade without fully taking shape, but the barriers to... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.