Top water company employers named
Northumbrian Water Group has been named the top utility employer to work for in the UK by business media firm Bloomberg, in a list which used data from employee surveys.
NWG topped the utilities category in the Best Employers UK 2016 list, which calculates the country’s best employers using independent surveys of employees run by research firm Statista. The company was 21st in the overall list of 400 large employers, with a staff satisfaction score of 8.17 out of ten.
The second placed water company, United Utilities, was not far behind, ranked 24th overall with a score of 8.05, while Anglian (25th with a score of 8.04) was third. Other water companies to feature in the list included Scottish Water (7.51), South West Water (7.49), Affinity Water (7.32), Severn Trent (6.95), Southern Water (6.66) and Yorkshire Water (6.54).
Interestingly, the water companies on the list fared better than many large employers in the wider utilities sector, such as National Grid (7.26), Centrica (7.00), EDF Energy (6.92), E.ON (6.69) and British Gas (6.65). The top company to work for in the UK was Jaguar Land Rover, with a score of 8.56.
Louise Hunter, Director of Corporate Affairs at Northumbrian Water Group, said: “We’re delighted to be named in the Best UK Employers list. This external recognition confirms what our employees already tell us - that we’re a great place to work, and in our own employee survey, 81% of people told us they are proud to work for the company.
“Perhaps some of the reasons why they think that are because of the support we give our people through our wellbeing programmes, the experiences and opportunities we provide for personal development, and the time we give to people to volunteer in their local communities.”
The Best Employers list is based on a survey from a cross section of 15,000 people working for firms and or institutions with more than 500 employees in the UK. It was conducted anonymously through online panels, allowing people to openly have their say without influence from their employers.
The complete list of 400 firms across 25 industry sectors and the methodology can be found here: Bloomberg Best Employers UK 2016 site.
- Sembcorp Bournemouth Water opts for Hydrant Wizard Sembcorp Bournemouth Water (SBW) has invested in a Hydrant Wizard, which allows water supplies to be maintained when work... Read More >
- UU staff set to begin strike over pensions Up to 700 United Utilities (UU) staff are planning to go ahead with a 27-hour strike from Friday morning over a pension... Read More >
- North-east drain blockages cut by a fifth Northumbrian Water's Love Your Drain campaign has helped reduce the number of blocked drains by nearly a fifth across the... Read More >
- Comment: What could retail competition do for customers? Domestic retail competition could provide an opportunity to look again at how we determine the price of water to the... Read More >
- Comment: Sludge all set for reform The opening of the bioresources market presents water companies with an opportunity to do things differently, but what... Read More >
- Interview: Ben Jeffs, Chief Executive, MOSL “The whole industry has really mobilised around market opening, and the water companies deserve credit for that.” Read More >
- Close-Up: Who will be the big fish in the new water retail market? With a £2.5BN new market for non-domestic water retail to open in England in April, joint ventures, incumbents and new... Read More >
- Water Industry Procurement: could Brexit provide a fresh start? Could Brexit lead to a re-examination of the procurement rules which govern the water industry and other infrastructure... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Waste Water Network Manager c. £42,000 depending on skills and experience An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Wastewater Network Manager within the Asset... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.