Thames Water discovers 'fatberg' in Kingston
Thames Water has removed a "bus-sized lump" of fat mixed with wet wipes that had formed in drains under a road in Kingston, Surrey.
The company said sewage flooding of homes, streets and businesses could have resulted if the fat had not been removed. The blockage was discovered after residents in nearby flats complained they could not flush their toilets.
CCTV investigations found the mound of fat had reduced the 70x48cm sewer to just 5% of its normal capacity.
Thames Water will repair 20m of pipe over the next six weeks that was damaged by the fat.
Gordon Hailwood, waste contracts supervisor for Thames Water, said: "While we've removed greater volumes of fat from under central London in the past, we've never seen a single, congealed lump of lard this big clogging our sewers before.
“Given we’ve got the biggest sewers and this is the biggest fatberg we’ve encountered, we reckon it has to be the biggest such berg in British history.
“The sewer was almost completely clogged with over 15 tonnes of fat. If we hadn’t discovered it in time, raw sewage could have started spurting out of manholes across the whole of Kingston."
- Severn Trent Water's half-year performance in line with expectations Severn Trent Water has announced a 10.3% increase in underlying group pre-tax profit to £155.8M for the six months to... Read More >
- 'Thames Water Fatberg' hit squad goes into action over sewer abuse Thames Water has deployed a "fatberg hit squad" to tackle the growing problem of sewer abuse, by urging people... Read More >
- Thames Water to be grilled by London Assembly Thames Water will face the London Assembly's Environment Committee at City Hall tomorrow (February 4) to answer questions... Read More >
- Comment: When the effluent hits the affluent A collaborative approach was key for the Victorians who built London's sewer system, and the same lesson applies today Read More >
- Water companies track down private pumping stations Water and sewerage companies in England and Wales face a deadline of 1st October 2016 for adopting most private pumping... Read More >
- Getting to Grips With... Section 104 agreements Drains and sewers are a vital part of any new housing development, and developers need to make early decisions on their... Read More >
- Project Focus: Cheltenham gets £5M sewer facelift Severn Trent's renewal of the sewers in the historic Gloucestershire town involved 15 individual projects to tackle sewer... Read More >
- Technically Speaking: Hydraulic Modelling Computing capabilities now allow a new level of integrated catchment modelling which can be harnessed to optimise sewer... Read More >
- Energy, Mechanical and Electrical Energy, Mechanical and Electrical ManagerKirklees Active LeisureKAL15/044£32,716-£35,595 – Starting salary to be agreed on upon appointment ... Read more here.
- Sales Manager – ACWA Services Ltd ACWA Services Ltd is currently recruiting for an experienced Sales Manager within the Water/Wastewater Treatment sector. Ref: CA251 Sales... Read more here.
- Industry Non-Executive Director The electricity industry is undergoing a period of rapid change with increasing political flux, media attention and significant change to... Read more here.
- Utility Infrastructure Associate Peter Brett Associates has a portfolio of truly multi-disciplinary projects requiring your utilities engineering expertise. Projects you... Read more here.
- GB Trader, ESB Trading, Generation & Wholesale Markets Business Activity The Forward Trading team are actively involved in wholesale energy trading in both the UK and Irish markets. The primary... Read more here.
- Regulatory Manager - Economic Analysis This is an exciting opportunity to join Thames Water, the UK’s largest water company serving London and the Thames Valley, as Regulatory... Read more here.
- Director of Operations Director of Operations Directorate: Operations Division: Operations Position: Director of Operations Salary: £110,000per annum... Read more here.
- Utilities Lead (South) If you offer excellent project management skills and ideally a track record of managing infrastructure works with multiple stakeholders,... Read more here.
- Utilities Connections Manager – Utilities Delivery Management London with travel to Birmingham offices and along HS2 route Competitive If you offer excellent project management skills and ideally... Read more here.