Thames Water discovers 'fatberg' in Kingston
Thames Water has removed a "bus-sized lump" of fat mixed with wet wipes that had formed in drains under a road in Kingston, Surrey.
The company said sewage flooding of homes, streets and businesses could have resulted if the fat had not been removed. The blockage was discovered after residents in nearby flats complained they could not flush their toilets.
CCTV investigations found the mound of fat had reduced the 70x48cm sewer to just 5% of its normal capacity.
Thames Water will repair 20m of pipe over the next six weeks that was damaged by the fat.
Gordon Hailwood, waste contracts supervisor for Thames Water, said: "While we've removed greater volumes of fat from under central London in the past, we've never seen a single, congealed lump of lard this big clogging our sewers before.
“Given we’ve got the biggest sewers and this is the biggest fatberg we’ve encountered, we reckon it has to be the biggest such berg in British history.
“The sewer was almost completely clogged with over 15 tonnes of fat. If we hadn’t discovered it in time, raw sewage could have started spurting out of manholes across the whole of Kingston."
- Sewage Recycling System makes UK debut at Scottish Water Scottish Water has tested a new recycling technology for wastewater at Dunbar and Aviemore Wastewater Treatment Works, and... Read More >
- Thames Water pays £86M for mis-reporting sewer flood risk Thames Water will pay a package of £86M for mis-reporting the number of properties at high risk of sewer flooding between... Read More >
- UU plots wastewater map to reduce sewer flooding risk United Utilities (UU) hopes to establish a "unique" wastewater map of Merseyside that will help reduce the risk... Read More >
- Comment: When the effluent hits the affluent A collaborative approach was key for the Victorians who built London's sewer system, and the same lesson applies today Read More >
- Water companies track down private pumping stations Water and sewerage companies in England and Wales face a deadline of 1st October 2016 for adopting most private pumping... Read More >
- Getting to Grips With... Section 104 agreements Drains and sewers are a vital part of any new housing development, and developers need to make early decisions on their... Read More >
- Project Focus: Cheltenham gets £5M sewer facelift Severn Trent's renewal of the sewers in the historic Gloucestershire town involved 15 individual projects to tackle sewer... Read More >
- Technically Speaking: Hydraulic Modelling Computing capabilities now allow a new level of integrated catchment modelling which can be harnessed to optimise sewer... Read More >
- Head of Consultancy Do you have a passion for managing large scale energy and utility projects? If so, this role provides the exciting opportunity to play a... Read more here.
- Head of Data Analytics Are you a Data Scientist looking to work with a fast-moving, innovative and expanding technology company? Do you have a passion for driving... Read more here.
- Business Analyst As Business Analyst you will have detailed knowledge of the data management and business processes of participants in the UK energy retail... Read more here.
- Head of Utilities Do you have a track record of managing utilities projects within large construction programmes? If so this role offers the exciting opportunity... Read more here.
- Project Director, Route Wide Logistics and Utilities If you have significant expertise within construction logistics and utilities, this role offers an exciting opportunity to play a key role... Read more here.
- Project Managers - Utilities If you offer a proven track record of project managing utilities projects or working within utilities projects with multiple stakeholders,... Read more here.
- Training Engineer (Power & Electrical) Sterling Power Training Limited (SPT) – part of Sterling Power Group – is one of the UK leaders in technical and engineering training and... Read more here.
- Electrical Engineer The Energy Innovation Centre is currently seeking an Electrical Engineer with experience of the UK Electricity Distribution Network Operators... Read more here.
- Engineer The Energy Innovation Centre is currently seeking an Engineer with experience of the UK Gas Distribution Networks (GDNs) to join its Engineering... Read more here.