Thames Tideway boss hits back over investors' rates of return
Thames Tideway Tunnel managing director Mike Gerrard has hit back at claims that the rate of return on the project for investors could be 24%. In a letter to The Times yesterday, Gerrard said the rates of return quoted "are far in excess of those anticipated" for the Thames Tideway Tunnel.
Gerrard was responding to a report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF), which said Thames Water's proposal to pay for the "super sewer" by increasing household wastewater charges by as much as £80 a year may generate after-tax returns on equity as high as 24%.
In the letter, Gerrard said that the £70 to £80 increase was the "maximum impact" on water bills. However, he admitted that the "maximum bill impact will only be known once this competition for finance, and a separate competition for construction (already under way), are completed in 2014/15".
Gerrard insisted that "a decade of study" had proven that compared to alternatives, the tunnel was the least disruptive and most cost-efficient to tackle the tens of millions of tonnes of untreated sewage discharging into the tidal River Thames every year.
- Miller Homes fined for silt and sediment pollution in watercourse Home building company Miller Homes has been fined £100,000 over a pollution incident that involved water containing silt... Read More >
- Gas upgrade at Swedish wastewater treatment site will help meet CNG needs Schmack Carbotech, part of Viessmann Group company, has won a contract to provide a gas upgrading plant at one of the... Read More >
- Infrastructure must be funded, says NI Water chief Northern Ireland Water chief executive Sara Venning has urged the water sector to €œraise the profile and the... Read More >
- 360-degree training gives sewer workers full picture A unique training facility at the Slough office of Thames Water contractor Lanes Group allows for an immersive employee... Read More >
- Interview: Lawrence Gosden, MD, Wastewater, Thames Water This month we talk to Lawrence Gosden, MD for wastewater at Thames Water, about building flood resilience in London and... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... sewer jetting Jetting is an important tool for clearing sewer blockages, but care must be taken to use the right pressure for the pipe... Read More >
- Fats, oil and grease need clear thinking Latest research from Cranfield has shone a light on the characteristics of of fats, oil and grease (FOG) droplets entering... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Ice Pigging An innovative method of cleaning pipes, ice pigging is now being seen as a viable option for wastewater as well as clean... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.